Slab Saw, trim saw

A slab saw is just a large disc saw for cutting strait lines thru large hard materials. Trim saws just use a smaller disk and are meant to cut little bits off at a time. As long as the stone is small a trim saw will do fine. Slab saws usually use a heavier motor than a trim saw and are meant to work for longer periods of time due to the thickness and resistance of the materials being cut.

Upvote 0
2 to 2.5 inches is about the max for a 6 inch diameter/ 3 inch radius blade. Trim saws have a thinner blade and are for finer cuts but will slab small stones. A slab saw is typically 12 inches or better and have a thicker blade for course cutting however narrow fine blades can be had.

Upvote 0
Thanks! Slab saws are expensive!

Ya, real slab saws are pricy that's why a lot of people will buy a 10" tile saw to get by. Replace the blade with a thin kerf diamond blade. Rig up a vice or two and maybe a gravity feed system. Not quite the same as a real slab saw but tile saws can be had for $200 at (can I say this here?) Harbor Freight.
I like the design where the table moves and the saw blade is stationary rather than the saw itself moving over a fixed table. Just me.

Upvote 0
I've been looking at those. Wasn't sure what kind of blade besides diamond though. Thanks for info!

Upvote 0
DD nailed it. And I know several which use tile saws instead. Just make sure not to get a to large blade, it shouldn't hit the bottom of the water supply. :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back