Small World stories....share yours

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday, I found myself in a crazy situation that reminded me how small the world really is. My short story is below, please share yours.

I spend any off time I have at home and work researching new spots to detect. Most days at lunch or after work or both, I try to drive by to try to catch an owner outside. About a month ago, I had located a house that old maps said should have been built sometime in the 1800s. I've been driving by it at least a couple of times a week trying to catch someone outside. well, yesterday was the day.

I drove up, introduced myself and my hobby and asked him about his house. He said that he built it himself years ago and showed me where the house I was looking for used to be. The land is now covered by 3 houses including his. Some of his yard, which is part of the original yard, is undisturbed since before the original house was torn down, so yah!

Then, kind of randomly, he mentioned what county he is from. I told him that I grew up in the main town in the next county south. He said that is where he grew up as well. So, I asked when he was born to which he replied 1945. I told him that my mother was born in 1944 and told him her maiden name. As it turns out, he rode the bus with her. We quickly drew a map in the dirt and started naming who lived where. He grew up on the road that went to my grandmother's house, so I must have driven by his childhood home thousands of times.

Needless to say, I have permission to hunt the small patch. I also got to call my mom and tell her who I met. What a crazy, crazy, small world.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was born, raised and lived in S.W. MI. my first 38 years. I worked for GM and taught, shot professional archery out of Starlight Archery in Portage MI. I moved to the Centerville, TN. area in 94' to work for the Saturn Corp. in Spring Hill. I dropped all archery endeavors "cold turkey" and quit shooting professional meets. I retired from GM in 06'.

Last week I was walking out of the Kroger store here in Columbia TN. when a couple walked by me. After we passed in the parking lot the guy yells out my name! I stopped and turned. This guy & his wife started walking back to me. When he got up to me he reaches out to shake hands and off he goes telling his wife all about me! He was excited as hell. So I said I'm sorry but I don't remember you. Yea, I bet you don't because I was never in your "league". Anyway.... he say's I sold and taught him and his brother to shoot archery back in the mid 80's. He really enjoyed telling his wife the exploits he and his brother had with me.

He and his wife had moved about 5 miles from my home here in TN. in 2010 after he retired from someplace in MI. It really is a small world.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not detecting related, but we were up in Skagway, Alaska on a cruise. Stopped to let these two couples take a picture before walking past. Walk on and then here my name called out. They were people my wife and went to HS with and had not seen in over 40 years! The funny part is we are all still in the same town and had to travel all the way to Alaska and on different ships to run into each other!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread