Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Solid *Tombac* Colonial Shoe Buckle

My brother and I scouted a new set of fields that I have been researching and it paid off big time. The grounds are still so dry in NJ and its hard to pull a decent signal at any depth but this new field definitely has potential. This buckle was a solid 12" in the ground mixed with iron,burnt wood, ceramics, brick and oyster shell. Nearby was the KGII. I hunt primarily farm fields and to find a whole shoe buckle is a daunting task as it is but to find a whole SILVER one is something else. It has a faint makers mark but unsure of the maker. Tombacs and a clog clasp were also nearby. Needless to say after some rain we will be heading back promptly to see what signals will be revealed after a nice soaking rain!

Beautiful Patina

Up close of makers mark

Dig hole with burnt ash,brick

Group finds including colonial casio watch....

Last edited:
Upvote 43
Thanks everyone but I need to edit the title. After swearing it was silver I filed down a small part on the back and found a dull yellowish brass color as well as on the tongue. Being near a salt marsh and being so smooth I never thought a stamped tombac buckle but I will definitely tale it. Going to try and post a pic on from my phone.

Very nice Buckle
Congrats

Can we see a cleaned up shot of the makers mark? Awesome find!

wow never seen those great find :weee:

Thanks everyone but I need to edit the title. After swearing it was silver I filed down a small part on the back and found a dull yellowish brass color as well as on the tongue. Being near a salt marsh and being so smooth I never thought a stamped tombac buckle but I will definitely tale it. Going to try and post a pic on from my phone.
OK thanks for the update, it was as I expected, although photo's can deceive.
Still a nice example. I think you need admin to change the title, Jeff will do it.

Thanks for the new pics. It's a great buckle in any case, silver or not.

Ya I tried to change title but it only does it after you have clicked on it.

Ya I tried to change title but it only does it after you have clicked on it.

It's all good brother. I hope this doesn't lessen the find in your mind. It is a killer shoe buckle!

Thanks for the update.

No sir im still excited! Just jumped the gun on the metal content. Tomorrow is another day at the same site to try and find the real silver one. ��

I love the old buckle, congratulations! :occasion14:

SOMEBODY WAS GOING BACK AND FORTH IN TIME, NICE FIND

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back