What's new

Some Marine Fossils!

old digger

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2012
Messages
7,554
Reaction score
7,441
Golden Thread
0
Location
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some marine fossils that were found above 6000 feet in elevation. If anyone wishes to help in their indentity please do so. I found the first one, and a friend of mine found the other three.


folder 3 012.webp folder 3 013.webp

folder 3 007.webp folder 3 006.webp

folder 3 005.webp

This last one is a much larger version of the one that I found, (Top).
 
Those are really neat looking! How do you know they're marine fossils though? I'm not saying they aren't, but I'd like to know for my own curiosity. Thank you!
 
The first and last fossils are good examples of Stromatolites, the second one is probably a form of sponge or bryozoan and the last one is coral, maybe favosite?
 
Nice. Weathering has really brought the specimens out of the matrix. I used to use HCL acid... what a nightmare. Look at some geology or paleontology maps of the fossiliferous zone to get more info on the formations.
 
Those are really neat looking! How do you know they're marine fossils though? I'm not saying they aren't, but I'd like to know for my own curiosity. Thank you!


Mostly from experience and collaboration with my friend.
 
The first and last fossils are good examples of Stromatolites, the second one is probably a form of sponge or bryozoan and the last one is coral, maybe favosite?

Thanks for your input! Am I correct that the first and last one are similar to a type of Sea Anemone?
 
Nice. Weathering has really brought the specimens out of the matrix. I used to use HCL acid... what a nightmare. Look at some geology or paleontology maps of the fossiliferous zone to get more info on the formations.


I will check this out. I do understand that the mountain range that these specimens were found is much older than the other mountain ranges in the area. Thanks for your input!
 
Thanks for your input! Am I correct that the first and last one are similar to a type of Sea Anemone?

No they are actually fossil representations of remnants of some of the accumulations of Cyanobacteria.
 
Nice specimens old digger! :) Makes a guy wonder how we to showed up to 'fit in'!!...with no land, just a world of water! ;)
 
So fun to look at these! Thanks for sharing!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom