What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Some random relics need some help with- Relic #1- 1893 World's Fair item

perdidogringo

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2011
Messages
582
Reaction score
1,757
Golden Thread
0
Location
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning, All,

I returned to my favorite spot and found some random relics and I am hoping some can provide feedback. This first one measures about 1.5" X 1.5" and I originally believed was just a bit of iron since it was caked in mud and corrosion. After cleaning it first with soap and water, I could see it was probably aluminum. I subsequently bathed it in a light vinegar/baking soda/hot water bath and then could make out some of the engraving. On one side appears to be an Aztec or Central American prehistoric calendar and on the other side, I can make out "Chicago" on one corner and "1893" on the other corner. Thus, I believe what I found is some sort of souvenir from the 1893 Worlds Fair, but I cannot find an exact match online. Pretty sure is was attached to something else at one time. I'd appreciate if anyone can add any information about the item and/or find a match.

For you history buffs, the 1893 Worlds Fair in Chicago was the backdrop of the fantastic book, "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. The book detailed the true tale of the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago and the serial killer who used the magic of the fair to lure his victims to their death. I highly recommend the book.

WF1893.webp
image2.webp
image1.webp
 
Cool find. Was unable to find a match, however, here is an aluminum medal for the same world's fair with a hole at 12 o'clock maybe for a small chain or string. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1893-world-fair-aluminum-columbus-1922600372 Overall the edges on your find look intact. The corner at 12 o'clock looks like its sticking out - so wonder if it is where a chain hole once was.

There appears to be 2 characters on yours, perhaps one is Christopher Columbus, with maybe a ship's sail behind them. There is also the phrase "DE LA" which translates to "OF THE".
 

Attachments

  • Medal.webp
    Medal.webp
    181.2 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 3
Cool find. Was unable to find a match, however, here is an aluminum medal for the same world's fair with a hole at 12 o'clock maybe for a small chain or string. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1893-world-fair-aluminum-columbus-1922600372 Overall the edges on your find look intact. The corner at 12 o'clock looks like its sticking out - so wonder if it is where a chain hole once was.

There appears to be 2 characters on yours, perhaps one is Christopher Columbus, with maybe a ship's sail behind them. There is also the phrase "DE LA" which translates to "OF THE".
Thanks! Yes, has to be something similar to the aluminum metal in your link. You would think there would be a match online somewhere especially considering how collectable anything from the 1893 World's Fair is.
 
Upvote 0
On the last pic there is an Aztec calendar, like the one pictured below. There are also the years 1492 & 1892.
 

Attachments

  • Aztec calendar.webp
    Aztec calendar.webp
    137.7 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 3
On the last pic there is an Aztec calendar, like the one pictured below. There are also the years 1492 & 1892.
Yes, it's definitely a Aztec calendar on the back. Hoping to find a match for this 1893 World' Fair souvenir...
 
Upvote 1
Yes, it's definitely a Aztec calendar on the back. Hoping to find a match for this 1893 World' Fair souvenir...
I looked and looked and nada. I realize that being aluminum the likelihood of surviving in good condition than say silver was slim. Began to wonder if instead being for the 1893 World's Fair it was marking the 400th anniversary of Columbus setting sail (1892). A real head scratcher...
 
Upvote 1
I looked and looked and nada. I realize that being aluminum the likelihood of surviving in good condition than say silver was slim. Began to wonder if instead being for the 1893 World's Fair it was marking the 400th anniversary of Columbus setting sail (1892). A real head scratcher...
Thanks for the feedback! It has to be from the 1893 Chicago World's Fair because it is engraved with "1893" in one of the corners and "Chicago" in another (and this relic was recovered in the Chicagoland area). Plus, the 1893 Chicago World's Fair celebrated the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World in 1492. That's why that info. is also engraved on the item.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 1
I looked and looked and nada. I realize that being aluminum the likelihood of surviving in good condition than say silver was slim. Began to wonder if instead being for the 1893 World's Fair it was marking the 400th anniversary of Columbus setting sail (1892). A real head scratcher...

Although the Chicago World’s fair was actually held in 1893, it was in fact a celebration of the 400th anniversary of Columbus’ arrival in the New World in 1492. The fair was also known by the name “The World's Columbian Exposition.”

Edit: cross-posted with @perdidogringo
 
Upvote 2
Thanks for the feedback! It has to be from the 1893 Chicago World's Fair because it is engraved with "1893" in one of the corners and "Chicago" in another (and this relic was recover in the Chicagoland area). Plus, the 1893 Chicago World's Fair celebrated the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World in 1492. That's why that info. is also engraved on the item.
Agree. I was just expanding my search for the images since coming up empty handed finding anything close from the fair.
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom