Spanish Silver 4 Reale Recovery and more…

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I was working a very old farm field in Central RI, this was a new permission for me in 2018. The day was beautiful about 60 degrees and sunny, simply a perfect day for detecting. Being a new field, I tried my “free Style” method of initial searching with some success. The day appeared to be the hunt of buckles with five found and three nice old buttons. The field also gave up part of a Model T Ford hub cap. As you can see the relics were “jumping” out of the ground. About mid hunt of a 6 ½ hour hunt a 1903 Barber quarter found my coil, a pleasant surprise of this very few coin hunt. At about the 5 ½ hour point I was working a very wet area that water tends to pool for most of the year, said the farmer. At a point near the transition from extremely wet to moist, I get a rock solid hit on the Minelab Explorer SE, with the curser pegged in the upper right hand corner and the audio wailing like an ambulance crossing an intersection. I dig down and view a blackened round disk covered in mud. Upon inspecting one side was slick with wear and no detailed showed, but the obverse showed a faint bust with the date 1778. It appeared to be a large silver Reale, smaller than an 8 Reale and larger than a 2 Reale. When I got home I determined the weight of the coin to be 12.21 grams with a diameter of 32.2 mm. The coin being very well worn could account for the loss of weight corresponding to a standard 4 Reale of +/- 13.74 grams. I was very excited with the find and only affirmed this place will be a killer place to hunt!

Thank you for reading.

GL & HH

Doc

4 Reale 1.jpg 4 Reale 3.jpg 4 Reale 4.jpg 4 Reale 5.jpg

Buckles 2_20_18.jpg Relics 2_2-_18.jpg Relics2 2_2-_18.jpg Iron 2_20_18.jpg

Upvote 50

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Professor! I'd be doing cartwheels across that field if I had unearthed a 4 reale. What a wonderful day you had!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You had one heck of a great day! Congrats! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Mr. Digger,

The Minelab Explorer SE is a killer machine,as you already know! :icon_thumleft:

GL & HH

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread