Spence treasure in southern Missouri

Dubdubbs

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2023
So I read a story in a book called something like Ozark Pioneers (not sure that title is exact but its something similar if not) by a man named Bob Hines. It's about a man named Spence (last name) and the couple thousand dollars of gold coins he had hidden or buried. The money was from a cattle sale he had recently had. It says essentially that he was killed by 3 would be robbers (not before taking 2 of them out with just his pocket knife) before he told anyone where he had hidden the money. Supposedly it was on a farm not far from where I live now and and that my family now owns. The house Spence lived in isn't there anymore but my grandpa told me once that the Spence name was on the deed and that his father. My great grandfather was the 5th name on the deed since it was homesteaded. It's supposed to have been "about 4 miles east of Burnham" if my memory serves right from the newspaper article Hines' book referenced. That's about right to be right around Pepa's place just a little south too. Has anyone else read, or heard about, this story?

Upvote 2

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the St Louis Globe Democrat, November 17, 1890:

St__Louis_Globe_Democrat_Mon__Nov_17__1890_.jpg

RelicFinder77

Oct 21, 2022
So I read a story in a book called something like Ozark Pioneers (not sure that title is exact but its something similar if not) by a man named Bob Hines. It's about a man named Spence (last name) and the couple thousand dollars of gold coins he had hidden or buried. The money was from a cattle sale he had recently had. It says essentially that he was killed by 3 would be robbers (not before taking 2 of them out with just his pocket knife) before he told anyone where he had hidden the money. Supposedly it was on a farm not far from where I live now and and that my family now owns. The house Spence lived in isn't there anymore but my grandpa told me once that the Spence name was on the deed and that his father. My great grandfather was the 5th name on the deed since it was homesteaded. It's supposed to have been "about 4 miles east of Burnham" if my memory serves right from the newspaper article Hines' book referenced. That's about right to be right around Pepa's place just a little south too. Has anyone else read, or heard about, this story?
I have the book you describe, and actually have researched, and have no doubt, this is a true treasure to be found, if it wasn't found by the mentioned family member. My family established many of the little towns in that region, however, mr. Spence is not in my family tree.

i would be honored to photo this page of this book and send to you, and a prayer you can find this treasure.

Last edited:

RelicFinder77

Oct 21, 2022
Here is the article direct from Mr.Hinds book, "Ozark Pioneers."

Attachments

• 20230822_143550.jpg
    20230822_143550.jpg
    944 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
D

Dubdubbs

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2023
From the St Louis Globe Democrat, November 17, 1890:

Here is the article direct from Mr.Hinds book, "Ozark Pioneers."
That's the one! Thank you very much. See the only problem that I had being able and permitted to hunt said treasure was that when my grandfather was a young boy his mother gave birth to a baby girl. The infant (my great aunt) was unwell and only made it a few days before passing. As was done quite often in those days the child was laid to rest on the family farm and it just so happens that the whereabouts of her plot (though by the time it was relayed to me my pepas memory didnt provide an exact location any longer) were not marked ot written/mapped before the last living relatives who would have had even the slightest idea of the location of the baby's resting place. Therefore as children we were always forbidden from wandering that part of the field for fear of us disrespecting or (grandma forbid this for the tears that whelled up in pa's eyes when it happened) even worse, coming across the grave and bringing her up to my grandpa. This here we are today still pretty clueless and all the more anxious for it.

RelicFinder77

Oct 21, 2022
It would be sad and horrible to accidentally find an infant grave, but over this time, it would be nice to mark it if so. i think the mathematical odds of stumbling onto it would make it a rarity.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As was done quite often in those days the child was laid to rest on the family farm and it just so happens that the whereabouts of her plot (though by the time it was relayed to me my pepas memory didnt provide an exact location any longer) were not marked ot written/mapped before the last living relatives who would have had even the slightest idea of the location of the baby's resting place.
I can relate. That exact same situation exists in my family. Like @RelicFinder77 said, it's unlikely you'd find it by accident, but if you did, a marker would be a nice gift.

OP
OP
D

Dubdubbs

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2023
It would be sad and horrible to accidentally find an infant grave, but over this time, it would be nice to mark it if so. i think the mathematical odds of stumbling onto it would make it a rarity
I would say you're most likely right. It's just finding the right words and, (diplomacy being key and all) relaying to my dad's brother, who technically has ownership of that particular piece of land now, that im not just trying to dig a bunch of armadillo holes in his field f9r cattle to break ankles in. Instead I'm trying to find and connect with this story that brings the past back to life, at least for me, and (let's not pretend otherwise) to be honest line both of our pockets a little bit in the process.
It would be sad and horrible to accidentally find an infant grave, but over this time, it would be nice to mark it if so. i think the mathematical odds of stumbling onto it would make it a rarity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions