BioProfessor said:
The E Whiton Company manufactured silver between 1813 and 1879. Most of their pieces were coin silver if not marked sterling.
That's all I got.
Daryl
Well, it
is from sometime in the 1800s at least. It could have been made by either Ezra or Ebed Whiton.
This site states Ezra Whiton was a silversmith in Boston, MA from 1835-1879 :
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com however, he died in 1858 :
http://fam.eastmill.com/i1386.htm#i126923 1813 would have put him at 16 years old.
Ebed Whiton 1802-1879
http://fam.eastmill.com/i1386.htm#i126924 was listed as a silversmith in 1834
http://books.google.com/books?id=-N...=0CDkQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=Ebed Whiton?&f=false (page 48) after having been an apprentice for Lewis Cary in 1820 (see page 49).
No site I've found distinguishes the two as having seperate hallmarks nor have I found different ones relating to either Ezra or Ebed. Any given site links the hallmarks shown as belonging to either one. No clue what the "OCH" means; maybe a pattern number or initials of the buyer?