petersra
Hero Member
- Joined
- Apr 26, 2006
- Messages
- 577
- Reaction score
- 14
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- a few miles from the ocean
- Detector(s) used
- Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
When I started out several years ago, I made my own Scoop. From what I have heard, a lot of us have been there, done that. I figured out pretty quick that my home made scoop was not going to get the job done over the long run. My wife bought me a hand held galvanized scoop for $40 and then I spent the $150 for a good SS long handled water Scoop. That was about 1-1/2 years ago. I go hunting as often as I can get away, but that is only a couple time a week on average. My scoop is big so it gets a lot of torque on it when it takes a full bite. When it came in the mail, I could tell the welds were wimpy and were not going to hold up. Unfortunately, I was right. Below are pictures of the developing cracks and the repairs. I am not a pro stick welder, but I think this will hold up better than original equipment. Of course I added an extra pound of welding rods and SS supports to the weight of the scoop
This is my first time welding SS, so there was a learing curve. My last welds were better than my first. Also, everything I read said you had to have argon gas blowing on the arc while you were welding, which of course I don't have. When I had the amps right and the speed right, the welds looked good without any obvious oxidation or pitting of the weld. So maybe a 316L rod is made to use without argon gas, because the results seemed OK to me. Time will tell how the welds hold up. Hope this give anyone who wants to make their own scoop an idea of the kind of stress a scoop needs to be able to take. HH to all. Ralph
This is my first time welding SS, so there was a learing curve. My last welds were better than my first. Also, everything I read said you had to have argon gas blowing on the arc while you were welding, which of course I don't have. When I had the amps right and the speed right, the welds looked good without any obvious oxidation or pitting of the weld. So maybe a 316L rod is made to use without argon gas, because the results seemed OK to me. Time will tell how the welds hold up. Hope this give anyone who wants to make their own scoop an idea of the kind of stress a scoop needs to be able to take. HH to all. RalphAttachments
Upvote
0
Obviously I am more of a novice at welding than metal detecting. I know just enough to be dangerous. I could not find anywhere on the Internet or in the welding supply store sales people to tell me what you just said. I thought the flux on the rod shielded the arc, or why else would it be there.... I used the 316 rod because that was the SS rod the supply house had in stock and they said it would work fine. I feel a lot better about what I did now. I really struggled with whether to attempt it myself or take it to someone to have it done. Even though my scoop was worthless the way it was, I didn't want to screw it up totally. Thanks for the input. Breakfast and I am on my way out the door to find the treasure with my "Lucky" scoop.
HH, Ralph
Thanks to all for you comments and words of encouragement. HH, Ralph






