What's new

Stamped Ceramic Jug

DJV

Jr. Member
Joined
May 15, 2016
Messages
92
Reaction score
341
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,

Found this little beauty recently: :icon_thumleft:

IMG_1255.webpIMG_1256.webp

How does one go about estimating the date of such a relic? All I know is that "CL Baker" was, among other things, a Merchant in Lindsay, Ontario, in the mid-late 1800's.

Your assistance is much appreciated!

Regards,
DJV
 
Upvote 18
Welcome.

Even without your history of the Merchant, I would have dated it to the mid-19th C.
 
That's a beauty for sure. Nice find.
 
Try the "Antique Canadian Pottery" or "Antiques Found in Canada" or "Canadian Antiques" groups on Facebook. Lots of folks there who can help. You definitely have something special there. The "CW" (Canada West) dates it to c.1841 - c.1867.
 
Try the "Antique Canadian Pottery" or "Antiques Found in Canada" or "Canadian Antiques" groups on Facebook. Lots of folks there who can help. You definitely have something special there. The "CW" (Canada West) dates it to c.1841 - c.1867.

Thank you Saint. I'm off to FB to do some chatting...

Best,
DJV
 
This type of pottery does date to the later part of the 19th century. Like yours they were often made for a specific vendor ; mostly grocery type stores. They could contain many liquids from molasses to lye. Their value of course depends upon condition and are more collectible to say a local stoneware collector in your area. Neat save.
 
Sweet find would be a great Moonshine jug!!!!
 
Very nice jug. You should post it in the bottles/glass dpmt.
 
Really nice jug! Thanks for sharing.
 
Why is it,, when I see a jug like that one,, I start to think,, MOONSHINE.
Congrats
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom