What's new

stash of old coins may not be worth much, but still feels precious.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
96,834
Reaction score
76,273
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stash of old coins may not be worth much, but still feels precious.

a Treasure Hunter is Born :D

Our building has a coin-operated laundry system, so our wash cycles officially start with a trip to the bank for a roll of quarters. I recently took home a little paper pack, and was delighted to find inside a quarter that was minted in 1940.

It had been handled so much that the perimeter ridge was flattened and the coin almost completely smooth. George Washington’s features are blurry, rather than crisply embossed, his chin softened, the waves in his wig long gone.

I took out the next coin, which read 1943. And the next, 1941. The whole roll, it turned out, was a currency time capsule. I couldn’t possibly spend these quarters.

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hon...y-2010/Afterthoughts-Mint-Condition/index.php
 
Upvote 0
Re: stash of old coins may not be worth much, but still feels precious.

A neat little article.
 
Re: stash of old coins may not be worth much, but still feels precious.

I wonder if she knows that the roll is worth $120 or so spot?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom