What's new

Steamship Arabia

Alan Applegate

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2013
Messages
262
Reaction score
131
Golden Thread
0
Location
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By now, most folks have heard about the steamship Arabia that sunk in the Missouri River in (circa) 1856. The found the steamship some .5 miles from where it sank because the river meandered that far over the years. Of all of the stories about the steamship and the Kansas City, MO museum housing the cargo, I've never heard or read how they found the wreckage. Does anyone know for sure?
 
Last edited:
Lots of exhaustive research and investigating,and determination.They used a well drilling rig to bring up soil samples if I recall.I highly recommend the book Treasure in A Cornfield

"
In 1987, Bob Hawley and his sons, Greg and David, set out to find the boat. The Hawleys used old maps and a proton magnetometer to figure out the probable location, and finally discovered the Arabia half a mile from the river and under 45 feet (14 m) of silt and topsoil.

The owners of the farm gave permission for excavation, with the condition that the work be completed before the spring planting. The Hawleys, along with family friends Jerry Mackey and David Luttrell, set out to excavate the boat during the winter months while the water table was at its lowest point. They performed a series of drilling tests to determine the exact location of the hull, then marked the perimeter with powdered chalk. Heavy equipment, including a 100-ton crane, was brought in by both river and road transport during the summer and fall. 20 irrigation pumps were installed around the site to lower the water level and to keep the site from flooding. The 65-foot-deep (20 m) wells removed 20,000 US gallons (76,000 l) per minute from the ground. On November 26, 1988, the boat was exposed. Four days later, artifacts from the boat began to appear, beginning with a Goodyear rubber overshoe. On December 5, a wooden crate filled with elegant china was unearthed. The mud was such an effective preserver that the yellow packing straw was still visible. Thousands of artifacts were recovered intact, including jars of preserved food that are still edible. The artifacts that were recovered are housed in the Steamboat Arabia Museum.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]
On February 11, 1989, work ceased at the site, and the pumps were turned off. The hole filled with water overnight.
 
Thanks and an amazing story............a story worth keeping in mind for those of us who seek long lost treasure.
 
They didn't find the ship a half mile from where it sank, they found it exactly where it sank. the river simply moved away from the old channel.
 
They didn't find the ship a half mile from where it sank, they found it exactly where it sank. the river simply moved away from the old channel.

..yes,I missed that he stated it that way....very few waterways are exactly where they were even 100 years ago....some have changed slightly while others significantly.I know of a fort in Montana that was originally built on the banks of a river........the river is now over 1 mile away
 
..yes,I missed that he stated it that way....very few waterways are exactly where they were even 100 years ago....some have changed slightly while others significantly.I know of a fort in Montana that was originally built on the banks of a river........the river is now over 1 mile away

When you look at aerial views of rivers you often see a huge area filled with criss-crossing arcs from the the river constantly changing course. The only place it doesn't happen like that is in mountains because the hills constrain the river and dictate it's course until the water can wear it down.
 
...yep...old gold hunters trick:thumbsup:
 
A few years ago a friend of mine and I were going on a road trip to the museum and it fell through. I am the history nut and he is a salvage diver. Would love to make the trip someday.:hello:
 
A few years ago a friend of mine and I were going on a road trip to the museum and it fell through. I am the history nut and he is a salvage diver. Would love to make the trip someday.:hello:
you owe it to yourself...its an experience like no other
 
Yes, I worded that wrong!

This is not the only instance where rivers moved. I lived in the KC are way back in the early 50s. The big flood took out a bridge or two, along with several locomotives that were parked on the bridge to "hold it down". They didn't, and off down the Kaw they went.

I don't remember the exact year (circa 1980), but one of the locomotives was found almost 500 yards from the river's edge. Goes to show how fast a river can meander.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom