Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
I found my first carved bullet today. It certainly appears to be a chess piece and its base allows it to stand upright.
20180322_135025.jpg

Also found a couple of 58Cal variants just 2 feet apart. Those and a 69Cal RB are the only rounds so far on this property, but I've only been wandering this 60 acre tract for a month now.
20180322_173032.jpg
20180322_173108.jpg
20180322_180317.jpg

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding! Congratulations on a great carved bullet, and other finds.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Finds the carved is awesome (my phone did not do it justice LOL) , 2 different types of Dropped Minnie's is Cool ,
Civil War or late 1800's eyelet .

The watch winder ??? is cool also ; I don't ever recall digging one myself.

Hope you are well & keep those relics coming .

I may try to get out on Sunday , Weather permitting.
God Bless
Davers

OP
OP
Yak1366

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet Finds the carved is awesome (my phone did not do it justice LOL) , 2 different types of Dropped Minnie's is Cool ,
Civil War or late 1800's eyelet .

The watch winder ??? is cool also ; I don't ever recall digging one myself.

Hope you are well & keep those relics coming .

I may try to get out on Sunday , Weather permitting.
God Bless
Davers

Those minies surprised me. As I said, only two feet apart, one was 3" deep, the other 5". I went over that area for an hour expecting to find another, but no. Not even modern day lead. Will put the big coil on next time as the topsoil is deep in that area.

I was very lucky not to damage the carved piece. I had just cut a 12" or so diameter plug on another target. Found it, rescanned the hole, and had a hit only an inch outside the cut I had made with my Garrett retriever. A couple of inches down, right where the topsoil transitions into chert, I see this odd shaped something. Once in the hand, I knew it was lead, then those 'eye slits' and the faceting made me realize I might just have found an actual carved bullet. There is a ~1/8" hole in the base which makes me wonder if it originally was a Williams Cleaner Type III.

Good Luck to you on Sunday!! HH to All !!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow!!! very nice finds...

"D"

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great work on those finds. Keep up the good work.
Turkey seasone here so my best places are not approachable now.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work on those finds. Keep up the good work.
Turkey seasone here so my best places are not approachable now.

It seem's like it's always 'some kinda season' in the rural areas , In the areas I relic hunt I have to worry about 'Arrows' & getting 'Jacked'.

GL & God Bless over there Jeff.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first carved bullet today. It certainly appears to be a chess piece and its base allows it to stand upright.
View attachment 1567834

Also found a couple of 58Cal variants just 2 feet apart. Those and a 69Cal RB are the only rounds so far on this property, but I've only been wandering this 60 acre tract for a month now.
View attachment 1567835
View attachment 1567836
View attachment 1567840

Just staring at your Bullets ' first , I may be wrong but I think the 'Carved ' is to tall to have been a W. Type 3 .

I wonder also if you or anybody can tell if the bullets are Confederate Or Yankee , 'I have a hard time distinguishing'.

My guess is the bullet on the Right 'Side-Cast'? is Yankee & the one on the left is more likely Confederate , IDK
I would love to be able to tell '90%' either way just by looking .

Oh I did OK on Sunday I was not skunked but it took the Heavy 1266-X & 9 hours.

OP
OP
Yak1366

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Davers, I would love to know how to distinguish Confederate vs Yankee too.

Not having seen 1% of the bullets the CannonballGuy has graded, and where the heck is he by the way? I haven't seen a post from him in a while. Maybe on vacay? Anyways, I look at the nose for it's bulbous nature, like Gardners, to say it may be confederate. A more pointed, precise molding where the grooves are crisp, probably Yankee. IDK for sure, that's why I leave it to guys like TCBG. I can say that, the area where it was dug, was a major entry point for the confederates immediately before the Battle of Chickamauga.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers, I would love to know how to distinguish Confederate vs Yankee too.

Not having seen 1% of the bullets the CannonballGuy has graded, and where the heck is he by the way? I haven't seen a post from him in a while. Maybe on vacay? Anyways, I look at the nose for it's bulbous nature, like Gardners, to say it may be confederate. A more pointed, precise molding where the grooves are crisp, probably Yankee. IDK for sure, that's why I leave it to guys like TCBG. I can say that, the area where it was dug, was a major entry point for the confederates immediately before the Battle of Chickamauga.

I been wondering about TCBG as well, hope he is OK.

You Know ?
I guess "issued to" & "Used By" can go either way , with Confederates making use of Union Rifles & Ammo more often than the Union had the "Pick-up" dropped Confederate Guns .

Certain varieties have certain markers to say witch side made them , also Many were field cast , I assume the Confederates field Cast more larger calibers than the Yankees but really don't know.

Pretty sure both sides Field Cast the many pistol calibers & types , I have much to learn.:icon_scratch:

My most 'used' book The small "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges " usually has Southern or Northern Manufacture stated by the Bullet & it's given #.

That said , I guess 'Manufacture Type' , Base Type etc can give one a pretty good Guess.:dontknow:

Enjoy your Resurrection Day Celebration.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread