I have maps of this area going back nearly 300 years.
I’ve checked the Massachusetts Middlesex County Registry of Deeds.
There’s never been a building or foundation or anything within a ½ mile of this spot.
In the early 1700’s it was forest. In the 1800’s it was logged and used for grazing sheep.
There is a ‘supposed’ Native American grinding stone located about 30 yards from where I found this.
And I do believe the grinding stone _is_ a grinding stone, not glacial work. I think I have pix of that, too.
Right now it is under a couple feet of snow.
Hey Randazzo, I have roots with that last name..
Man, the groove is so obvious when you hold it. Maybe not so in a photo.
It is about ¼” round. Smaller than a quarrying drill and smaller than the drill holes people used when putting iron loops into granite for fence gates or even when making things like boot scrapers.
I’ve marked the groove in this next picture: