Strange button for my area.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to get out and do some MDing cabin fever was overwhelming. Went to a local park that has been around since the turn of the century. It is now owned by the school system and was a famous gathering place back in early 1900’s. Men’s baseball teams from all around met there to play. I have pic’s from this era of one of those games with ladies in full dresses and men in top hats with horse and buggies all around. There used to be a covered grand stand which is obviously not there anymore. Today I found a button about the size of a quarter that has what appears to be a British coat of arms on it. Crest in the middle, crown on top with a lion laying on it. Guarded by a lion on the left and a unicorn on the right. The banner below holds the words “Dieu et Mon Droit” which I believe is French and translates to “ God and my lawful right.” Have no idea how this type of button could end up in this location. Anyone have any ideas.
Button Mar 16 ,2013.jpg

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Could we see the back, or alternatively, is there any back mark? It could be a British army general service button (possibly as old as WWI) or a blazer (fashion) button depending on the construction and maker.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The back plate is covered in rust/corrosion and loop is gone, not sure how to handle this w/o ruining something. I've looked at some threads on DIY electrolysis would this break this corrosion up?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An iron/steel back, especially with traces of black paint all around and inside the emblem, indicates it is a civilian-clothing "Fashion" button which imitates an actual Miitary button.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the face was obviously covered with some sort of black enamel something. In fact after thinking about it this may be a fashion button from an old high school band uniform. The old school stood only a couple hundred yards from where I found it. Oh well I guess this would answer the question of how in the world could a Brit or French military button come to rest in a little Mid Western farm town. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for bustin my bubble.....LOL. Just gotta figure out where that grandstand was.......then dig about a ton of junk to get to the booty. Surely there's some old silver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread