What's new

strange penny

shane41

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
369
Reaction score
119
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this penny this summer. Just wondering if anyone else found any like this. Must of took some work to cut the cross into it?? Shane
 

Attachments

  • Strange Penny.webp
    Strange Penny.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 284
AMEN to that!
 
I have found one that looks just like that a year ago here in Idaho. The cut out
o n mine looks almost like a machine cut of some sort
Idaho Hunter
 

Attachments

  • detecting coins 0063.webp
    detecting coins 0063.webp
    111.7 KB · Views: 198
These are common on TNET, many have found them (I haven't tho).
 
Yep, here's mine.
 

Attachments

  • penny.webp
    penny.webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 268
  • penny.webp
    penny.webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 241
nope I haven't found one...mlayers
 
Still wondering about this one. Came out from under a sidewalk in some very old dirt. The IH appears to be the same diameter as the nickel, I was thinking maybe someone at the mint dropped the IH in the nickel planchet press or maybe someone just beat it with a hammer.
 

Attachments

  • bigih.webp
    bigih.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 274
  • bigih.webp
    bigih.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 254
Lowbatts said:
Still wondering about this one. Came out from under a sidewalk in some very old dirt. The IH appears to be the same diameter as the nickel, I was thinking maybe someone at the mint dropped the IH in the nickel planchet press or maybe someone just beat it with a hammer.

It don't look beat with a hammer. Interesting coin.
 
Yeah, while appears out of round in the picture, holding it against a nickel seems to find it exactly as round, but thinner.
 
I had a friend who owned a cross 'die' that you could punch down on leather and it would cut out a cross.

I suppose with a good hammer and steady aim, it could be punched down on a penny. Why one would do that? I dont know.

Maybe there's a black market for do-it-yourself gold electroplating on top of cheap copper coins?

I once made a gold penny as part of a science project, so I know with minimal supplies it can be done.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom