What's new

Strange Tweezers

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know what theese are for . The brown part looks like tortoise shell ? They are marked TIEMANN & Co
 

Attachments

  • blocks%20013.webp
    blocks%20013.webp
    90.9 KB · Views: 438
  • blocks%20014.webp
    blocks%20014.webp
    82.3 KB · Views: 417
  • blocks%20017.webp
    blocks%20017.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 423
  • blocks%20019.webp
    blocks%20019.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 432
They look like "entropium forcepts"... a doctors eye intrument. I'll dig for some pictures...
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
Montana Elf said:
They look like "entropium forcepts"... a doctors eye intrument. I'll dig for some pictures...

Chalk up another one for the Montana man! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Second item from left at:

http://antiquescientifica.com/ophthalmic_eyelid_retractors_Tiemann_four_examples.jpg

I was just gonna post that PBK... nice job!

Quote from that source: "A selection of four c. 1860 antique ophthalmic instruments made by George Tiemann, New York. From left-to-right, are a Desmarre's eyelid retractor with ivory handle, a Roebrich's entropium forceps with tortoise shell blade, a Jaeger's plate lid-holder in solid tortoise shell, and a Noyes' eyelid retractor with ivory handle. All four instruments are illustrated in the 1889 Tiemann catalogue. "
 
Upvote 0
relichunters said:
Montana Elf said:
They look like "entropium forceps"... a doctors eye instrument. I'll dig for some pictures...

Still for surgery no?

Yes... and you were right, probably from a 18th century eye doctor's surgical set...
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom