What's new

STUNNING Restoration of U.S. Breastplate Dug on 8-29!!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
5,591
Reaction score
2,910
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View restoration at end of original post and thanks for looking!!!

A typical August day in Tennessee with 90+ deg. and high humidity. I had two choices early this am:
A. Mow my 3+ acre lawn while it was cool,
or
B. Go relic hunting
Naturally, I chose choice "B". I hit a site near a large U.S. camp about 45 minutes after good light. I hunted for nearly an hour and a half without finding even one bullet. Then, I got a "55" reading on my F75. I thought it was my first bullet or musket ball for the day. Instead, I pulled out a rolled up piece of lead. I immediately knew what it was. I carefully cleaned the interior and saw the eagle. This relic appears to have been deliberately curled in.

A recognized CW relic expert theorized that one of the iron loops broke or cracked and the soldier then wanted to see how strong he was and then discarded it. My friend Robert McDaniel in AL who is a relic repair master says he "can help the looks of it" so I may send it to him for straightening and rim repair. This is the third breastplate I have dug.
I looked for another hour or so with no other relics recovered. Ironically, I dug a 1995 nickel which is the year I started hunting for CW relics. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.
 

Attachments

  • Breastplate Back 8-29-12.webp
    Breastplate Back 8-29-12.webp
    80 KB · Views: 361
  • U.S. Breastplate 829-12.webp
    U.S. Breastplate 829-12.webp
    241.3 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Upvote 2
It displays better in the box without the iron hooks and I don't know if the relic restorers can do gold gilding. Robert restored another BP for me that had perimeter ground action that was serious. The effects of acid rain since the 1960s is heart breaking and pretty soon the thin brass will be gone in most areas. HH, Quindy.
 
VOL1266-X said:
It displays better in the box without the iron hooks and I don't know if the relic restorers can do gold gilding. Robert restored another BP for me that had perimeter ground action that was serious. The effects of acid rain since the 1960s is heart breaking and pretty soon the thin brass will be gone in most areas. HH, Quindy.

Well the guy sure has talent. It is amazing what some people can do.
 
Nice restoration Quindy. It will display and show well. I like that you always take the high road and I doubt anyone would question your integrity. You said you were going to have it restored and you did. And it is a job well done. So there ya go. Congratulations.
HH
TnMtns
 
That is an awesome job at restoration. Thank you for taking the time and spending the money to bring that beautiful piece of history back to life. Also, thanks for sharing the story and pics with us. Have a great night.

DANGLANGLEY
 
Thanks for looking Bill, Ticm, IF69, Breezie, Dave, d2, GaRebel, and fellow Tennessee hunters Richard and Dan. HH to all of you, Quindy.
 
Q, I finally found the after pictures! Robert is a "Metal Master". That plate looks great. Tennessee digger
 
Q, I finally found the after pictures! Robert is a "Metal Master". That plate looks great. Tennessee digger
Thanks Donnie. I was very pleased with the restoration and over half of the relics I have dug so far this year are directly because of your research and knowledge of the area. Looking forward to you and Julia hunting with the Trio next week. HH, Quindy.
 
Your friend is an artist. Amazing find and an awesome restoration!
 
Beautiful restoration, Quindy. What kids really need is to get out there first hand and dig this history up themselves! I wish so badly I was into this hobby when I was younger...I would have learned so much more than what was taught in the books!
 
Hi Quindy , Been busy but I wanted to check in to see how your doing . Nice job with the restoration of the breast plate . Looking forward to another Great season from you and all the Tenn. hunters HH :)


:skullflag: dawg
 
Your friend is an artist. Amazing find and an awesome restoration!
Thanks TENNESSEEGAL (Dan's Sis) for looking and HH in East Tenn.

Matt, I echo your feelings. We ( Tenn. Trio) have taken Relic Hound hunting with us along with his uncle Dixiedigger and it's rewarding to see how excited he gets. I plan to take more young people hunting this year too. From what friends who relic hunted in the late 1960s have told me, a monkey with a broom could find great relics-LOL. We missed the good ole days. HH, Quindy.

Dawg, We are going to officially open the Fall relic season on Tuesday. Good luck on mill sittes this Fall my friend. You are the Master Mill Hunter. HH, Quindy.
 
Last edited:
amazing restoration! looks awesome
 
Looks great nice job buddy.
 
Quindy, what a treasure! Display it proudly!!!
 
That's amazing work... I wonder what his secret is?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom