What's new

Sunken California Gold Rush Treasure

Dan Hughes

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2008
Messages
472
Reaction score
71
Golden Thread
0
Location
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
7399648


Here's a stranger-than-fiction story about sunken treasure.

In 1857, a ship loaded with millions of dollars worth of gold from the California Gold Rush sank, killing 430 passengers and crew members. End of story? No.

Because in 1980, a guy from Ohio decided to search for the ship. He collected a lot of money from investors, and after several years of work, he found the ship and pulled millions of dollars worth of gold from it.

Then it gets interesting. Seems he took all the money and ran, leaving his employees and his investors behind. And he took his secretary (also his mistress) with him.

Here's the whole sordid story.

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes.
 
I don't think he was accused of taking all the money. I believe it was some gold coins. Not all the money.
 
Hey DH!! Looks as if he was pretty hard pressed for a mistress!! Now the cash on the other hand?? Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!
 
I don't think he was accused of taking all the money. I believe it was some gold coins. Not all the money.

Thanks, Caz - I should have said he skipped without paying his investors or employees.
 
Sad story……..but perhaps the investors will make out well now that the recovery is going again.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom