SWASTIKA, Mark that off the bucket list.. ID help?

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, Well today I went out to my friends property where I found the piece of Reale(at least I think) and about 4 million square nails and found a few goodies. I found a couple round balls, One .30 call and one .50 and few other odds and ends and a PIN I need help iDing. It says S M B S around a medical cross. It is a screw type pin like a military style or something.

The the neatest find for me was this Copper SWASTIKA square. It has 2 little hinge pieces on the back. But nothing else. My wife was thinking maybe it was some sort of belt buckle or strap buckle but let me know what you think. Someone posted a 2018 goal thread and asked what you wanted to dig this year and I almost put a Swastika. Obviously a super neat piece of history. Also kind of neat how it was used for thousands of years and a sign of good luck and what not by many cultures until Hitler came along.

Let me know what you think it could be.. thanks:tongue3:

the pin has been figured out, French Red Cross. No date yet though

La Croix-Rouge française a été créée en mai 1864, sous le nom de Société de secours aux blessés militaires (SSBM)

Attachments

• Swastika 5.jpg
    Swastika 5.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Swastika4.jpg
    Swastika4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 182
  • SWASTIKA 3.jpg
    SWASTIKA 3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 230
  • SWASTIKA 2.jpg
    SWASTIKA 2.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 174
  • SWASTIKA 1.jpg
    SWASTIKA 1.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 178
  • red cross french.jpg
    red cross french.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Upvote 18
OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
please note ...the Nazi symbol is not "straight up and down and across" bars like the one shown ...it is a pre Nazi era good luck symbol ..... the Nazi one is at a 45 degree angle ...the Nazi's twisted both the meaning of the swastika as well as it design

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool buckle and pin. Love finding things to research.

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi JZ,
I found two items (Pre Nazi Era) one is a brooch hall mark 1910 "Hitler was a (toddler) at that time, and the other was a "Token" from a shoe maker ...Then as you know it was no longer a sign of luck or peace ......Bonz IMG_3151.JPG IMG_3152.JPG IMG_3199.JPG IMG_3200.JPG token is 1920s

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please note ...the Nazi symbol is not "straight up and down and across" bars like the one shown ...it is a pre Nazi era good luck symbol ..... the Nazi one is at a 45 degree angle ...the Nazi's twisted both the meaning of the swastika as well as it design

Ivan, that's actually not true. Many Third Reich items had the swastika sitting flat. For example here is a Waffen SS belt buckle :

ssbuckle.jpg

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds Ken, I've found one good luck token with a swastika on it about four years back. It was always one of my favorite finds.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hum I guess the Nazi's used it both ways sadly --I had hoped that the Nazi crap would all be the 45 degree slant type to help sort one from the other ...now it seems you gotta check very very close to be sure--and the Waffen SS were the worst of the worst at killing innocent folks (they were the death camp guards and wet work types for mass killings of local people not even bothering to send them anywhere but just making them dig a big a hole in the ground and filling it with them afterwards) they died for basically just being alive and unwanted by the regime

purely from a history stand point as a historical relic ...its interesting .....but it history is a history of mans cruel nature when left unchecked by common decency

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your bucket list find. I just found a Good Luck token with the Swastika on it last Sunday.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any decent perusal of the 'net will reveal a couple of things relating to the swastika item:

Nazi era quality was typical of the times, good metal work, not like this one. We now live in a different era.

12268753_3.jpg

This is very low quality for the era, called a "tinnie". This is now "high" quality, notice the pin itself.

The swastika was indeed commonly tilted or straight. There was an elaborate and purposeful design heirarchy with all Third Reich items; really the same with US or any military.

Since most Nazi items are counterfeit post-war cheapies, to see a real one is relatively rare.

I agree that that the item isn't Third Reich.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Waffen SS were the worst of the worst at killing innocent folks (they were the death camp guards and wet work types for mass killings of local people not even bothering to send them anywhere but just making them dig a big a hole in the ground and filling it with them afterwards) they died for basically just being alive and unwanted by the regime
You're thinking of the SS Einsatzgruppen They were the groups tasked with "antipartisan" activities, and were responsible for a whole lot of atrocities, mostly in the East. For the most part Waffen SS units were just soldiers in a war like any others, but some units did commit some horrific war crimes as well...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread