Teknetics Gamma 6000 Taken For a Swing!

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Friends,

This weekend I was out and about looking for a place to take my AT Pro and decided to visit a friend on the way. We started talking about detectors and stuff, of course, and I asked to use his Teknetics Gamma 6000 for a test swing in his yard. So, it ended up being my hunt for the day. He just sat there and watched me dig, as he is still recovering from knee surgery. I wanted to see what Teknetics were like. I had made a few adjustments to his settings, as I would do for my AT Pro, and demonstrated some ideas and tips for him...and it seemed to be working. Found two wheats in his yard and about six more pennies and a dime along with fragments of copper wire, brass grommets and unidentified articles and a brass padlock.

He was a little shocked at what I was finding with it, having never used it before, but as I said, i made a few adjustments to his settings resulting in an apparent improvement. Anyway, I thought the machine performed quite well, better than I thought it would.

It's pinpointing was pretty much right on in about 9/10 situations for me.

I liked using the 4 tones, but made some interesting observations when fiddling with the volume. I noticed that the 'ceiling' high tones disappeared when I turned the volume down. All of the other 'three' tones remained. When I used the detector it was already on '5' for volume, which about blew my ears out, so I turned it down to about '2-3' and that's when I realized, even though the other tones(bass, low and medium) were still very strong, the HIGH tones were not there anymore, so, I just moved the headphones off my ears a bit and cranked the volume back up to five...presto, high tones returned! So, after I realized this I rescanned some areas I had already gone over and guess what?? I found a wheat penny at 4"-5" down. So, maybe that isn't flashy, but nonetheless I was hearing the high tones without question now. Awhile later I got another HIGH tone and it was another wheat. I tried to dig as many high tones as I could latch on to in this very trashy yard, and several of them turned out to be pennies, but not all of them were the same strength...and were mixed up with floating ID numbers...which brings me to my next observation...

This appears to be a strong point for this detector, and that is...it appears to see everything that is in the hole...trash and goodies. Although, I wasn't digging silver or gold in this location, I dug several penny holes whose signals seemed to all come through, that is, the junk and the good stuff were heard and ID'd. The pennies were a little tricky to isolate and with all that junk were tough to get a pinpoint on, however, if I heard a high tone among junk tones, and could get a half decent repeat of the high tones from whatever position, i would dig and find nails, siding and whatever else along with the pennies. A few times I pulled junk out, and thought, oh...that's what it was...then each time rescanned the hole and said, NO...something is still in there. ;)

Of course, i liked that this detector was very light...quite a difference from the AT Pro, which isn't touted as a 'heavy' machine, but it's the one I use most now and compared to the TG6K, it is heavy.

I will post some of the finds tomorrow on Today's Finds forum if I get around to it. All in all, i liked the TG6K. I'll have to swing her another time in some other terrain.

GL & HH

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I say 'junk tones' I simply mean to say, any tones that aren't a 'high' tone, so...Bass, Low and Medium. All those tones are still valid relic, jewelry and coin finding tones! Just thought I'd clear that up a bit. :)

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like fun to me !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread