Tesoro Outlaw Opinion

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay I have a Silver uMax and am buying a Tiger Shark for my freshwater needs real soon. I still need another land detector. Been having a hard time making my mind up on this one. I have looked at the Xterra 705, F5, F70, Omega, T2, MXT, M6, and more. I have to keep the price of the land detector less than $750. I saw some youtube vids by 53 Silver on the Outlaw and was impressed by depth, target seperation, price, and just flatout bang for the buck. Oh ya and three coils. If I get the outlaw I will have three detectors without a display. Is that a bad thing? Anyone have any opinions on the Outlaw?

Below are vid links on the outlaw:

cahil_2

Apr 27, 2012
West. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab e-trac,
Garrett Pro pointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator 31 Digger, Minelab pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you will already have two tesoro's, so I would use my $750.00 and buy a minelab Safari. Windy city detectors has them on special right now for that price. Just my opinion.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the Outlaw earlier in the fall and love it. I was impressed those videos from 53Silver and others on you tube. I've been able to replicate what he shows there pretty much spot on.

I've never had a VDI machine so I can't compare. But I do love that when I am out I can change my coils in a snap depending on the conditions of the site.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jfeeney, do you feel you are getting good depth with your outlaw? Does not having a VDI hamper your hunting efforts? My experience has told me that the VDI is mostly accurate if you have a single coin, laying flat, with no other targets in the vicinity. Add trash near the target and other things and they are jumpy enough you just make a judgement listening to the tone anyways. Yeah, I think maybe another VDI would be nice, but the price on this outlaw with three coils makes it hard to say no to it!

Cahil, that is tempting but I can't drop the $750 right now. Yesterday our bank account got cleaned out by someone who went on a online shopping spree with my wifes debit/credit card. Luckily the bank and my wife caught it right away and most of the money has already been returned to our account. Thankfully our bank was great about stopping and taking care of it!

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the depth is great with the Outlaw - I've gotten dimes @ 6". I've never used a VDI so I can only tell you how I typically hunt with the Outlaw.
I turn on the Outlaw and ground balance it. Then I'll hunt in all metal motion. With a good tone signal I'll switch to Disc mode and get rid of the iron and ID it better and dig.
Just like 53Silver showed in his video, I've been able discriminate a dime from a quarter. There is only a single tone on the Outlaw but in Disc mode there are subtle differences in the sounds depending on the target and Disc setting. It's like the tone gets clipped and you get something more like a chirp.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone give me some air test results on say a dime, quarter, nickel, and penny?

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Given the weather for me I was hoping to do some air tests this weekend. I'll post the results.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are my air test results. I would have rather done it outside but given the cold and snow here in Ohio, that didn't happen. I did the test inside on a rug over a wood floor. I checked for any signals over the area I tested and found a clear spot. I set up a yardstick and put the each coin down for a target. I swept of the coin to get the signal. Then raised up the coil sweeping until I didn't get a tone. Recorded the number. Then repeated it 3 more times with my eye closed waiting to lose the tone. The readings were pretty consistent. I took the lowest value of the the four and subtracted off .5 inches for the height of the coil. I tried to do Disc mode as well but I couldn't get the chatter low enough to make good estimates. The results are below. Let me know if you have any questions about my tests. I was trying for consistency between the targets and the coils, so at least if I am off with something I did, I was consistently off. 8-)

Settings:
Mode = Auto (All Metal)
GB = + about just before 2 o'clock position
THRS = 12 o'clock
SENS = 7
DISC = FOIL

CoilDimePennyNickelQuarter
12"x10"8"8"11"12"
8"7"8"9"10"
5.75"6"7"7"7.5"

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have a water detector and a inland detector .... What is the need for a third detector ..????

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy, I am ordering the Tiger Shark soon and the kids will be using the Silver uMax. Soooo..... I need another one and before long the wife will want one tooo!

Jfeeney, thanks for taking the time to test. I am hoping I could squeak out a little more depth by getting the sensitivity higher. I have mild ground here so the depths shouldn't be too much of an issue. Right now I seem to change my mind often, but it always keeps coming back to a handful of detectors. I am sure any one of them would suit my needs well. The day I buy is probably the day I decide. I am still eyeballing a Vaquero with a shooter coil for about the price of the outlaw also. Decisions, decisions! There are a lot of detectors in my price range, but for some reason I keep swaying back to the Tesoro beep and digs. They just seem to have good performance and are a heck of a value. I have looked at the MXT Pro several times, but even used they are higher priced. I guess that says something about the White's, they hold their value well.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All i can tell you is check some out at the dealer...... As for a screen my self i don't like them....... i have made most of my good finds with detectors with out screens...... some were one tone beep and dig....... and now it is beep with different tones and dig..... I have one detector with a screen that is a Garrett AT Pro..... And i try not to look at the screen.... But at times that screen will have you looking at it..... It gets to be a bad habit looking at that screen...

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me the tipping point towards the Outlaw was three coils being included. I love being able to switch out as needed.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Keppy, years ago when I used to detect I had a Garret and pretty much ignored the screen. After using my Silver umax I learned you really don't need the screen to make digging decisions. The discrimination works really well and thumbing it along with the tone sound will give you plenty of info. Depth is as easy as raising the coil while sweeping over the target. The Tesoros just seem to be so much bang for the buck. I can get 3 Tesoro's for less than the price of 1 Minelab. Not knocking Minelab. Plus there is the warranty and customer service with the Tesoro. Kinda of looking like all my detectors will be the same brand.

shortcut

Apr 21, 2009
N.W. Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, XP Deus, MXT ALL Pro, Racer, T2 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can understand the need for more than just one land detector and one water detector I have multiples of each and enjoy each of them. I do not know many golfers who have one club or one hunter who has one gun and I just enjoy purchasing them.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shortcut, I agree totally with you- my wife doesn't!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with to many detectors ...... You never know what one to use some times...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Keppy, years ago when I used to detect I had a Garret and pretty much ignored the screen. After using my Silver umax I learned you really don't need the screen to make digging decisions. The discrimination works really well and thumbing it along with the tone sound will give you plenty of info. Depth is as easy as raising the coil while sweeping over the target. The Tesoros just seem to be so much bang for the buck. I can get 3 Tesoro's for less than the price of 1 Minelab. Not knocking Minelab. Plus there is the warranty and customer service with the Tesoro. Kinda of looking like all my detectors will be the same brand.
...... I understand what you mean about the price of Minelabs........ I also have a Minelab Sovereign GT.....And to me the GT will get as deep as any Explorer..E trac or there new 3030....... I got a good price on it from .. MillerMDZ ... Tom a dealer here on Tnet....It is used but works great.....

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am torn between the Vaquero and an additional 5.75" coil or the Outlaw. Both for about the same price $550. I know the Vaq would probableybe a little bit deeper, but other than that is there any major advantage to either? Help!!!

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toss and coin and be done with it. LOL Seriously, can you go wrong with either choice. I think not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread