What's new

Test Gardens. Are they worth the effort!?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2013
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
1,221
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I believe "Test Gardens" to be well worth the effort. Especially when learning a metal detector. Initially, most folks are ecstatic upon finding a "Rosie". As was I.
When entering metal detecting, I didn't realize the intricacies of my machine! I now know to trust it. ;)
A test garden is a small plot of ground one uses to bury various coins/relics, in order to read TID/VDI numbers or sounds on individual targets. This is much better than "air tests", as targets are at specific "below surface" depths. Normal dirt is undisturbed and hard packed w many decades, but this option gives exceptional results. Some make Test Gardens in their back yard. If you rent, just go to local park, and do same. Although, please be aware, many/most city and county parks require a permit at minimum. Follow these guidelines for your area/state. Also, leave no traces of digging "plugs" and take ALL dug trash. Recycle trash when able.
Each detector will certainly vary vastly as to results. Learn your detector well!
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays! Peace
 
A test bed is a great tool. Well worth the effort! That and a test set I made up of coins, pulltabs & bottlecaps, hotglued to some wood paint stir sticks for air testing are good for testing & learning new machines or comparing. The other benefit is if you loan a machine or know someone that got a bright shiny new one it makes it really easy to teach them without a lot of distraction like a park or beach. Lots of uses for a few minutes time!
 
I tried one and buried some nice pieces. Too deep. It was like a crazed gopher got loose here re-finding them.
 
Thanks boogeyman. I used 12" shims. Merry Christmas! Peace
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom