What's new

That last group hunt in Chicago area park

Mayo South Elgin

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
383
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought I would post what I got on that last "group" hunt in the Chicago area.
Not photographed was the authentic voodoo/gypsy/Santeria paraphernalia that I walked up to.
Laying on the ground was a cloth mat about the size of a dinner place mat.
On top of this was two candles which had been lit, a cigar which had been partially smoked, some chicken or other kind of bird feathers, and a coarse white substance which I'm guessing was salt.

Also not pictured is the 1940's pepsi bottle I found on the surface - my second one this year.

Throughout most of the hunt while west of the train tracks, a deer was within about 30 feet of me.
Occasionally he would look up at me and then continue grazing - which was strange because I couldn't see anything on the ground that could be grazed on. This was after about a dozen deer slowly jogged by - I think Lowbatts spooked them and they made for higher ground.

I only got one silver dime - a Mercury, a few wheats that were so pitted the dates were barely readable, the rest is labeled on the large photo.

It was a fun hunt and it was good seeing the few of you that I saw... I'll have to remember to show up an hour early next time a group hunt is arranged!
and thanks to the gentleman who gave me the extra spoon for my place setting - now I just need the butter knife and steak knife!
 

Attachments

  • Group1.webp
    Group1.webp
    46.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Garter.webp
    Garter.webp
    13 KB · Views: 195
  • Houbigant1.webp
    Houbigant1.webp
    49.2 KB · Views: 244
  • Houbigant2.webp
    Houbigant2.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 254
Yeah man and I had BBQ ribs two days in a row!

You'll have to find a model to fit that garter rig on when you get it rehabbed. I'm sadly not available.

Personally I think we should have lit the voodoo candles, torched the ceeger and blown smoke on the merc to get it to give up some more....
 
CONGRATS ON THE MERC AND ALL YOUR OTHER MIXED BAG OF ITEMS!
 
Great finds Mayo! What a variety!

Joe
 
Yep, that's a nice display of goodies! :thumbsup:
Glad you walked away with some silver too! Always makes the long ride home a bit more bearable.
 
Just about everything besides the kitchen sink! Nice haul Mayo!
 
WOW! A lot of really cool stuff. Great perseverance in digging all those mixed signals :thumbsup:
 
If anyone is interested in seeing what that Houbigant compact looked like before ending up in the ground, just do a search on Ebay and there's about 6 of them at the moment, ranging from $5.00 to about $50.00

I think it's interesting that this was found at the remains of an old home site in the woods, near where I found the garter parts. Imagine how hard life would have been then, (living in a rural area in the 1920's) and the women still put on make up and nylon stockings? Of course I guess it could have been lost under other circumstances... mail order bride? working girl in the woods? who knows!
 
Great finds, Mayo. It was great seeing you again.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom