Thats one small coin. Updated pics show type 2, 3center

T

TreasurdiggrNY

That's one small coin. Updated pics show type 2, 3center

Got out to a spot in the woods yesterday. Picked up my first 3 center which is also my oldest U.S. silver coin. It's barely legible, looks like 1867 and has seen better days but I'll take it. I also got the 2 IH's (1881, 1908) and the crucifix sign_goodluck.gif

magnifier.gif

sign_goodluck.gif

5-29-10 001.jpg

5-29-10 006.jpg

You can really see how small the 3 center is in this photo compared to the IH 5-29-10 003.jpg
5-29-10 004.jpg

Attachments

• magnifier.gif
    magnifier.gif
    599 bytes · Views: 1,135
  • 5-29-10 002.jpg
    5-29-10 002.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,156
Upvote 0
Re: That's one small coin

Thanks everyone for the kind words and info, especially on the type of 3 center I have. It appears to be older than I thought :laughing7: to answer some questions, the coin was found in the woods in Delaware County New York, the crucifix weighs 17.3 grams. I also took some close-ups and checked again online and I'm pretty sure the 3 center is a type 2 (1854-1858) like vayank 54 and dfx willy suggested above by the way the point of the star is right on the letter "N" in united, I saw some pics online and only the type 2 has that.
Thanks again for the kind words, GL & HH

Attachments

• 3ct.ID 001.jpg
    3ct.ID 001.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 584
  • 3ct.ID 004.jpg
    3ct.ID 004.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 590
Re: That's one small coin. Updated pics show type 2, 3center

Wow Glenn,great finds!You are having a great year for silver firsts!You won't find that 3 center in the parks we hunt. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's beautiful up there.

Re: That's one small coin

vayank54 said:
A good day for sure. There are 3 types of silver 3 cent pieces all are the same size but the stars are a bit different. I believe yours is type 2 which would date if from 1854 to 1858. If you look at the 3 cent piece in
Heavymetalnuts's post you can see the difference in the star. The type he dug is type 3 and dates from 1859 to 1873.
Type 2 for sure. Great find I was lucky enough to find 2 this year :icon_thumleft: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,314968.0.html

LI Tom said:
Wow Glenn,great finds!You are having a great year for silver firsts!You won't find that 3 center in the parks we hunt. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Tom, I've hit a couple of nice ones so far. Wish you and the rest of the guys were at this spot, we have to hit this place in the Fall :icon_thumright:

HCW said:
It's beautiful up there.

It's beautiful for sure and cooler so there is still a few weeks hunting left before things get really overgrown.

sscindercoop said:
Type 2 for sure. Great find I was lucky enough to find 2 this year :icon_thumleft: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,314968.0.html

Your 1852 has some great details still on it congrats on yours sscindercoop :icon_thumright:

Nice going on the 3 center and the cross. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back