The Atocha Adventure on TruTV

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
I watched the program. The silver coins they found that they estimated to be worth $4,000 a piece? Heck I could go buy a nice Atocha Grade 1 at West Bay Trading Company for less than $600. Also the gold chalice...was that a new find? I did an image search for Atocha Chalice on Google and foudn a picture of Mel Fisher holding a gold chalice that looked amazingly similar. Since Mel died ten years ago it made me wonder. IS this a different chalice or is this just something that was brought out that could be "discovered" with the cameras rolling for the television program? It would not be the first time a find was staged for the cameras...everyone has done it, it would be a pretty dull show if nothing was discovered. Not accusing anyone of any dishonesty here, this is more a Hollywood ploy to capture the viewers. Just curious. If it is a totally different chalice, I'm way off base here. I just know when a documentary film company was filming us they didn't want to see musket balls and pottery shards!

GH

Nov 10, 2008
That was a new chalice that was found, by Dan Porter and the crew of the Bluewater Rose. I think there was a thread here on TNET about it. Danny really is a good captain, but he is tough and pushes his crew really hard. They blow a lot of holes.

What confused me is that Bluewater is a subcontractor on the Margarita, not the Atocha.

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Neat, another chalice... what a find.

I did feel sorry for the poor guy that couldn't figure out what 1% of $1,000,000 was.

They should have edited that out...that made him look like a real idiot.

I guess it's just another example of our failed education system...I taught high school English and had to pass kids who could barely read just because the administration frowned upon failing students because it interfered with their funding.

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
My bad...

The question he struggled with was...What was 1% of $100 million? (not one million as I stated earlier)

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Galleon Hunter said:
My bad...

The question he struggled with was...What was 1% of $100 million? (not one million as I stated earlier)

Good, I was going to have to get out my calculator. ;D

Stan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes indeed thats a new find * -- I was at the recent state rules on salvage permitting hearings when taffi fisher came in and "announced" their find --- you should have seen the looks on the archies faces --you could have heard a pin drop for a couple seconds then the crowd of salvors there all cheered and hooted. --- you had to be there . :wink: :D ;D :D

ah the famous 1% (a penny on the dollar *) --- a $1 on a 100 buck find -- 10 bucks on a 1,000 find --- 100 bucks on 10,000 find --- 1.,000 on a 100,000 find -- 10,000 on a 1,000,000 find -- the chalace if it fetches it full 1.2 mill (estiamated value) once sold would net the"new" kid diver $12,000 as his 1% share ( not bad for his first days work)---- a 100 million find would be worth 1 million at 1 % to the "finder" --- the salary is squat for salvage divers -- its the find some thing "bonus" money that lures em , thats where the real money is at.

althought they said nothing , I'm sure the "old hand" divers were ticked off that the "new blood" diver was brought in just as they were in the hot zone and that he snagged the big prize right out from under them .(since they had been putting their sweat and blood in it all season long)

since to earn $100 a day using the 1% system -- a diver needs to find $10,000 a day in goods on adverage. -- so to make it really worth while in the long haul -- you need to find a few big finds or a whole lot of smaller regular finds on a steady basis, or both.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread