Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tnet family, just doing my thing to keep this ole corn-virus at arms length, I met my hunting buddy Randy at a 200 acre farm that we’ve hunted just a few times prior. The landowner is an awesome lady, and while we normally love to stop at her porch and chat on the way back to the fields, we settled for a curt wave from the window! The (known) history of this property goes back to the late 1700’s, per the landowner. There was a log cabin at one time but we haven’t been able to locate the footprint yet. Past finds from here include: several Large cents, Indians, one Barber quarter, a brass ring, an 1830 Capped Bust dime and an 1834 Capped Bust half dime. The day’s finds were meager, yet interesting... Randy pulled a nice (for a field copper) 1852 Largie (sorry no pic of it he forgot to send them to me), and my VERY first target was the brass tap/spigot thingamajob, then things slowed down for a bit. The clay marble was actually a surface find, how do I see that small dirt-colored ball laying in the dirt!? After digging PILES of scrap brass bits, lead, butchered aluminum, shotgun shells and melted aluminum, I finally got a clear and steady 83-84 from all directions. When I pulled this... what I first thought to be a silver button. Quick cleaning revealed the reeded edges... WOW... two silver dimes melted together!! And yes.. it is killing me not knowing what series they are... Roosevelt? Winged Liberty? Barber, Seated, Capped Bust?! These were found within 25 yards of where the two only other dimes were found, both CB. I haven’t made any attempt at cleaning or even possibly separating them. Anybody here have an inkling of what they are? If I should TRY to separate them? They’re pretty toast from being burnt but I’m at odds at what to do with them. Thanks very much for looking, everybody please be safe!! Ddf Scotty.

Attachments

• BD5DA56D-7AB1-4C8B-B3C3-A0260DF2B80A.png
    BD5DA56D-7AB1-4C8B-B3C3-A0260DF2B80A.png
    411.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 2BD0FE76-4962-4B8E-8E75-8A2093297FCD.png
    2BD0FE76-4962-4B8E-8E75-8A2093297FCD.png
    547.4 KB · Views: 106
  • BEDE37F3-6BA2-4D68-BD23-5168CAFA236B.jpeg
    BEDE37F3-6BA2-4D68-BD23-5168CAFA236B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • BA9D994C-E39A-4A8C-8EA8-868E400120AD.png
    BA9D994C-E39A-4A8C-8EA8-868E400120AD.png
    548.6 KB · Views: 86
  • C8BCE093-9594-49D3-9C78-C89481946F76.png
    C8BCE093-9594-49D3-9C78-C89481946F76.png
    632.5 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 17

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt Scotty good to see you gettin out I havent het this year. I think I would try to seperate those dimes it would keep me up at night. Someday bro Ill head up your way. Stay safe my friend keep those goodies rolling in Tommy

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt Scotty good to see you gettin out I havent het this year. I think I would try to seperate those dimes it would keep me up at night. Someday bro Ill head up your way. Stay safe my friend keep those goodies rolling in Tommy

Thx Tommy, yep killing me... my luck I’d dig a Flowing Hair and it’s burnt, bubbled, blistered n bent lol... bummer. Yep, when this COVID crap blows over you need to roll south and we’ll get that pouch full of Largies lol... Hang in there brother, just don’t breathe! �� Scotty

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Tommy, yep killing me... my luck I’d dig a Flowing Hair and it’s burnt, bubbled, blistered n bent lol... bummer. Yep, when this COVID crap blows over you need to roll south and we’ll get that pouch full of Largies lol... Hang in there brother, just don’t breathe! �� Scotty
or fart in the wind

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say that's a very interesting find! I'm in the camp that says " Don't separate them". As they sit right now, their identity is a mystery...how cool is that! I think sometimes not knowing is more interesting than the actual truth. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say that's a very interesting find! I'm in the camp that says " Don't separate them". As they sit right now, their identity is a mystery...how cool is that! I think sometimes not knowing is more interesting than the actual truth. Thanks for posting.

Yep... as much as I would LOVE to pry them suckers apart... I’m pretty sure if I can’t get them apart with my booger pickers, they’re going to stay bonded... thx for watching, Ddf.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are all thumbs...you sound like you ain't one of 'em. :tongue3:

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could separate them, then if you are full of regret, get a silversmith to solder them back together.
Honestly, that’s what I’d do, my wife is a silversmith.
Woman probably charge me for her time though....

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could separate them, then if you are full of regret, get a silversmith to solder them back together.
Honestly, that’s what I’d do, my wife is a silversmith.
Woman probably charge me for her time though....
Hmmmm.... good point and great idea BWD!! Kind of the best of both worlds... or I can send it to you (and wifey) and you and/or she can mess with’em... I tend to get a little.. uhh, heavy-handed at times. #bighammer. Ddf.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha darn. That is a unique 20 cent piece for sure. Good going!

Thanks Washingtonian, unique yes... but their identity, of lack thereof, is still driving me batty. An American 20 cent coin is waaay at the top of my bucket list... what a teaser!! Thx for looking, Ddf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread