Theories on West/East coast differences in coin finds

mfleming98

Greenie
Jan 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I'm new to the CRH game I'm asking a question that may be common knowledge to others, so please forgive me. I always read on the forums about how hunters on the East Coast have much better finds and great silver numbers while the West Coast is a coinage desert. Are there any working theories why this is so? I have a tough time believing that it is simply by chance.

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is true, the west coast is a wasteland. Just look at the census data each decade up until 64 and it will tell you where people are living

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A short sinple answer I would give/guess is population hubs (cities) and the rural population is more scattered and the people per acre ratio is very low as compared to the east coast. Less people = less coins

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the trend I'm seeing in the boxes I get from many different banks, I would have to say the East is rapidly heading towards becomeing a wasteland, with the sudden serge in CRHing, tellers pulling silver (most of the tellers I know do) etc...
I just hope I'm wrong.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP is right, there is NO silver on the west coast AT ALL. Dont even bother looking. ;)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It applies more to MDing because the west did not settle until the mid 1800s, meaning you won't find many draped bust and flowing hairs in California. It can apply to CRH based on population, but US coins circulate around the whole US, meaning there is no "better region" theoretically, though it might be one practically (NE).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread