What's new

This ones got me stumped.

BenVa68

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
504
Reaction score
1,735
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this on the most amazing earthworks I’ve ever ever seen out in the woods unprotected. They were about 7’ high with artillery platforms, powder magazine dugout and trenches all around them still intact. This was dug on the outside slope near the top of the works. At first I thought maybe it was part of a pocket watch but because it’s ferrous I’m not sure. I also dug several bullets, some buttons, percussion caps and square nails in the area of the magazine. There was no modern trash at all on or around the earthworks so I am confident that this is from the period. Any thoughts on what it might be?
 

Attachments

  • 9F6E2DC7-9DC3-46A2-B2F4-E30A8B37A553.webp
    9F6E2DC7-9DC3-46A2-B2F4-E30A8B37A553.webp
    360.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 40F456E8-2170-4BAE-AA72-CF546490A711.webp
    40F456E8-2170-4BAE-AA72-CF546490A711.webp
    568.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 0DE4B04A-48E1-4FBE-9715-71F0926383D4.webp
    0DE4B04A-48E1-4FBE-9715-71F0926383D4.webp
    384.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 6DCD0687-D307-4FE9-BE34-2EA40740B962.webp
    6DCD0687-D307-4FE9-BE34-2EA40740B962.webp
    594.6 KB · Views: 70
It looks like a piece that would screw on the top of a lamp. Gary
 
Upvote 0
Looks like iron and once had a threaded shaft? Could be a guide/tiedown from a wagon?
 
Upvote 0
It certainly looks like the item had a swivel, like one would see on a pocket watch, lantern. Most reign guides on wagons and cart were fixed, though this might be the case of it being bent over and snapping off.
Little too small for the reign guide, too large for the watch swivel, if one figures out the ID of the loop-would a finger go through it for packing the item around. (Then there's the whole coffee/tea cup example of handle and getting finger through discussion)
 
Upvote 0
Shade ring pull IMO.
 
Upvote 0
It's the remains on an eye bolt. Had many uses!
 
Upvote 0
Here's a few of the ideas I have for it...
also could have been a tie down on the side of a cart.
 

Attachments

  • dresser handle.webp
    dresser handle.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Swivel ring Snap clip.webp
    Swivel ring Snap clip.webp
    6.3 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
It may just be one of those things that I’ll never know it’s use for sure. If it were found anywhere else I probably wouldn’t be so curious about it but because I dug it in those earthworks it really got me wondering. Thanks for all the replies.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom