What's new

Three old farmhouse relics

halfdime

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
1,500
Golden Thread
0
Location
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Among the nice coins I've been finding are three pieces that I've never come across before. One strikes me as some sort of railroad tag, perhaps a baggage tag? It has the number "817" on it, and an engraved picture of railroad cars that are difficult to photograph. The round object says "WATCH" and has a number "34" on it. The most intriguing piece, to me, is about 2.5" long, a half inch wide and is calibrated on one end by quarter inch markings. The other end has patent dates: June 27, 1871 and Feb 3, 1874. I'd LOVE to know what this is; help!
 

Attachments

  • swainrelics 005 (Small).webp
    swainrelics 005 (Small).webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 389
  • swainrelics 009 (Small).webp
    swainrelics 009 (Small).webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 372
  • swainrelics 010 (Small).webp
    swainrelics 010 (Small).webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 385
  • swainrelics 011 (Small).webp
    swainrelics 011 (Small).webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 375
  • swainrelics 012 (Small).webp
    swainrelics 012 (Small).webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 365
  • swainrelics 013 (Small).webp
    swainrelics 013 (Small).webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 374
  • swainrelics 014 (Small).webp
    swainrelics 014 (Small).webp
    91.2 KB · Views: 370
The last one has me thinking of a machine screw thread guage. Are the grooves different on each side? It appears that there are more grooves per inch on one side than the other.
Just my 3 cents worth. (adjusted for inflation.) :laughing7:

Best,
Scott
 
Upvote 0
The grooves do appear to be slightly different on each side, but I have to go with the button hole answer. The rivets held something on the back side which would have probably held the whole thing to the fabric; this piece is gone, snapped off at the rivets.
 
Upvote 0
I agree. I may have been trying to overthink it...

Great ID Creskol! :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Okay, any ideas on the round piece? Would a jeweler use that as a claim check for a watch repair?
 
Upvote 0
halfdime said:
Okay, any ideas on the round piece? Would a jeweler use that as a claim check for a watch repair?

I think it is either a tool check or a key fob. The word WATCH, being enclosed in a banner, suggests to me that it is a company name, rather than a classification.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom