Took a Deus 2 out today for a couple hours

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In our park in the 1760's and 1770's Two groups of soldiers came through this area freeing the white captives from the Indians There was like 1000 to 2000 troops in each venture.They campen in the area our park is. SO i decided to take my detector out and see what i could do. The camp area is right next to Big Sandy creek. So i first hunting the high spots nothing but trash. Went like 300 feet to 50 feet from the creek I found a memorial penny everything else was trash like aluminum can slaw down 0 to 10 inches deep. The town had to move all kinds of dirt around there. I took some pictures of the park with my drone if ya all want i will post some. If you can tell i am a bit disappointed :(

Upvote 9
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet some of the trash goes to over 2 feet deep . When you didg you can tell undug dirt from fill. . Example I got a great signal dug to over a foot deep and there was a aluminum crushed can.It had to be in a fill area, The little hill was like 200 feet wide and maybe 600 feet long. It was all covered with a nice layer of grass.
If the 'fill' is too deep, you need to find the edge of the fill & work outwards.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you but i am about to give up on this spot. feet wise how big of a camping area do you think 1500 troops plus cattle needed ? and for one or two nights was not like a fort that was stationary

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
The goal here is to find original dirt that hasn't been moved around. My suggestion is to try digging up some iron targets in a given location. If you're not finding deep, corroded iron, you aren't on old ground. The ferrous stuff may not be valuable, but it is an indicator of what else might be there, and how deep it might be.

My second suggestion is to get up on that hill in the background of your last photo, assuming it's possible to obtain permission. We're talking about a military battle here, not a friendly meeting in the park. I guarantee that scouts were up on that hill at a bare minimum.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rhedden I thank you for your input . You have some great ideas i will give them a try and post my findings. Thanks for your input

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Also, don't forget musket balls and lead artifacts. If there was a battle or even a camp, most of the non-ferrous relics you''ll find will be bullets. In that age range, you are looking for musket balls, not rifle slugs or shotgun shells. Some of the older musket balls are really large and can be located at great depth. No musket balls probably means no period artifacts in that area.

Once you find evidence from the right time period, military relic hunting involves digging everything deep, even with a questionable signal. Buttons and coins from the 1700s are going to be corroded, and you shouldn't pass up the questionable targets at 6" plus. Deep "beer cans" often turn out to be belt plates. I once dug a CW belt plate right next to a beer can that produced almost the same signal, and I'll never forget that experience. I almost walked away without digging.

Best of luck!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea Bill
I have a pair that I use to use often exploring the shallows.
The one of the most important feature is a drawstring/cord at top of the waders to snug up tight.
In event of slipping into deeper water a person doesn't want the waders to fill, and then the lower leg area becomes a ballon-holds the upper portion of the body under the water.
A guy detecting years ago had it happen to him-and drowned.
Great Information itโ€™s very important to know.I tighten a belt below my waist also.
I used to try the deeper areas but I only stay very shallow now.
The long handle scoop helps me with balance also

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you but i am about to give up on this spot. feet wise how big of a camping area do you think 1500 troops plus cattle needed ? and for one or two nights was not like a fort that was stationary
My point is, its your job to work it out, it would vary. You need to widen the net and see if the historial record was correct or if its further down the river etc...

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare. 1500 troops is quite large .I would try to find out their route not only the park area. ,There has to be some good rewards waiting for you and check the water also
Best of Luck my friend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread