What's new

Tool, ROCK, Artifact Prehistoric?

chrisplay2004

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
679
Reaction score
70
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this March 18, 08' in an area where American Indians were known to be, but also an area close to where a prehistoric man was found. I have spent countless hours since then trying to ID it. Thought at first Grooved Axe :o, then thought Flaked Tomahawk :o, then thought Some sort of tool :o, then thought maybe prehistoric :o, now thinking rock ???. I have stared at it so much and looked at thousands of pics. Really need more eyes on this one. ::)
Thanks for looking and HELP! 8)
Just for fun also found prehistoric toy car...HHH :D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1544.webp
    IMG_1544.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_1545.webp
    IMG_1545.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_1546.webp
    IMG_1546.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_1547.webp
    IMG_1547.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 468
Upvote 0
just a rock, happens to everyone. i found pics of what i thought was stuff when i first started, i got a kick out of it. keep looking im sure there is an axe somewhere under your feet.
 
As Buzzard of GPAA would say "It's leaveitright" as in leave it right where you found it.

Sorry Chris--however--you are in New Mexico and that is a very good state for finding all manner of great projectile points, and other prehistoric artifacts. Find a ridge that overlooks a blue line (river, creek, stream et.al.) either presently running with water or that is now a dry wash. Look downhill from the ridge toward the blue line and you should be able to find pottery shards and or projectile point flakes or parts.

Works for me in AZ. More often than not.

Good luck

Stryker
 
Geofact, that's what I thought. :-\
That's why I posted, I figured I was letting my imagination run with this one. 8)
Stryker, I have found plenty of Real Artifacts using that exact method, that is also how I found this.
Thanks for the extra eyes... ::) :o :tard:
 
Chris,

I could tell you are a good sport.

In AZ (I now live in Oregon) I had my best luck at finding artifacts--perhaps that is related to the fact that the ground in AZ is not covered with grass, flowers, leaves and other artifact hiding ground cover ( :D). In AZ the projectile points were mostly made from obsidian. I would Walk along looking down at the bare brown sand, and pick up anything that was different--sometimes it would be an artifact--simple :wink: We are not talking rocket science here. Ha! Added to the fact that there must have been a whole bunch of folks living in central AZ high deserts for a very long time and one can not help but find stuff.

In my wanderings I noticed that the big desert red ants that are present in AZ were excavators--they would dig tunnels and pile up the removed material in front of their holes. One day In an ant waste pile I noticed some turquoise colored pebbles. On closer examination I saw a hole going through the pebble. This is how I discovered the best way to find beads and necklace items.

I do not know for sure but I would bet you have those same ants in New Mexico. If you did not know about this technique and use it, pay attention to small flat clam shell discs (usually gray or white) and not usually larger in diameter than a pencil eraser-- also with holes in the center and found in the waste.

By the way I would rather pick up an artifact suspect than not pick it up and, of course, wish I had :thumbsup:

Stryker
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom