What's new

Tough ID please.

Digger54

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
659
Reaction score
892
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Bandido II, Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB, Deus2, Manticore.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I knew when I dug it that it was a coin although very grungy, that had been bent in half. Debated and anguished so I heated it up and tried to bend it back but it still cracked on the inside line anyway. So then I gave it a 6 hour tumble in plastic bead, water and BKF. It cleaned off enough grunge that I could see that this is not a coin I have ever dug before. It's slightly smaller than an Indian Head penny. Any Ideas?
 

Attachments

  • MH.webp
    MH.webp
    169.2 KB · Views: 82
  • MHB.webp
    MHB.webp
    208.8 KB · Views: 55
Is it not a 'three cent nickel'?

Screenshot 2026-07-15 235150.webp

 
Yes Sir Thanks. First one I ever dug, she ain't pretty but she mine.

The 75% copper composition would explain why it was grunged up like an Indian Head penny.
 
Last edited:
Digger, congrats on a bucket lister coin :occasion14:
 
Last edited:
That’s the second one found on Tnet this week. I’d never seen one found here before. Those came out in 1865 at the end of the civil war because the silver version of the 3-cent coins were being hoarded.
 
Nice job on the super rare find!
 
Looks like you straightened out a love token...
 
Extremely cool find, but what is BKF?

Sounds like something that should be on a hamburger. Bacon, Ketchup and Fickles, if you have a speech impediment.
 
What is BKF?

Sounds like something that should be on a hamburger. Bacon, Ketchup and Fickles, if you have a speech impediment.
You certainly don't want BKF on a burger LOL! Sorry old habit of referring to "Bar Keepers Friend" that way. Contains Oxalic acid and superb for removing rust stains on bottles.
 

Attachments

  • BKF.webp
    BKF.webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom