Trash Turns into Treasure Printing Press Plate

Masterdan407

Sep 8, 2013
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going through all of my extra metal that I have dug over the last year because of the rain today. I ended up throwing this piece of metal into the box with all of my lead and luckily Dan went and looked at it. He noticed some lettering on the side and to our surprise it ended up being a old plate for a Printing Press. It says "Fellowship or scholarship of any employment remuneration".
IMG_20150609_112055_537.jpg IMG_20150609_112031_101.jpg IMG_20150609_112041_195.jpg IMG_20150609_112205_342.jpg

Upvote 6

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAJOR DAN YOU SAY YOU HAVE A PRINTING PLATE IN YOUR HAND, THATS A NEAT FIND ,VANZUTPHEN

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! But that's not a printing plate! It's called a "type slug" and it's from a linotype machine. I remember seeing one in use in the late 60s or early 70s in Brooklyn where my dad used to have his magazine printed.

You can read more about it here:

Linotype machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! But that's not a printing plate! It's called a "type slug" and it's from a linotype machine. I remember seeing one in use in the late 60s or early 70s in Brooklyn where my dad used to have his magazine printed.

You can read more about it here:

Linotype machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right in the money Erik. My Dad ran a Linotype at the printing company he worked at. I had a drawer full of slugs he made for me when I was little and an ink pad I used to play with. We made display boxes out of the wooden trays that held the type.

gigispop7

Mar 22, 2009
Oklahoma city,Ok
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett AT gold, Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool .dont see much of those.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Rob! The guy running the shop where my dad had his magazine printed made me and my sister slugs with our names on them and he somehow embedded a Lincoln cent in the side of each--I think I still have mine somewhere. I remember watching him make them for us on the linotype. I also had a little ink pad that I used with the slug :icon_thumleft: A friend of mine displays his detecting finds in a couple of those wooden trays mounted to the wall.

Right in the money Erik. My Dad ran a Linotype at the printing company he worked at. I had a drawer full of slugs he made for me when I was little and an ink pad I used to play with. We made display boxes out of the wooden trays that held the type.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions