Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the Atocha must have something really special also. The ship was named for bringing extra protection from above. More protection needed translates into more important treasure cargo aboard. I've been waiting to see what they find (but Atocha sterncastle is still out there an undiscovered location).

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would the Bahamas play nice with Spain and give them anything ? Seems like the least of their concerns. They’re not the US. (Which is much more corrupt than the Bahamas).

Quite the impressive yacht(s) on site.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is a great example of what can be done to invest in both the underwater cultural heritage of the Bahamas and its people. Mike Pateman has been at the centre of delivering another museum to the Caribbean, well done Mike, publicity like this can only draw more tourists.

A great example of what shipwreck explores can achieve when they have a business plan with financial backing. Carl Allen needs to be honoured, by the British commonwealth for all that he and his wife has done for the people of the Bahamas and the Allen Exploration team, well done I hope you enjoy every minute of it, great to see real divers being successful..

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really helps when homeboy is worth like $400 million dollars. I doubt he cares if he makes a penny and doubt he needs investors considering he has a live aboard yacht as well as an expedition yacht on site. Most treasure hunters are not worth nearly that much. Probably just asked the Bahamians if he could find their stuff for them so he could gain a page in the history books and they said "ya have at it". I do love when rich people do neat things though haha they play in a very fun way as opposed to being boring and rich. Props to that guy

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really helps when homeboy is worth like $400 million dollars. I doubt he cares if he makes a penny and doubt he needs investors considering he has a live aboard yacht as well as an expedition yacht on site. Most treasure hunters are not worth nearly that much. Probably just asked the Bahamians if he could find their stuff for them so he could gain a page in the history books and they said "ya have at it". I do love when rich people do neat things though haha they play in a very fun way as opposed to being boring and rich. Props to that guy
Beats a pack of jagoffs heading to space 🤣🤣🤣

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the Atocha must have something really special also. The ship was named for bringing extra protection from above. More protection needed translates into more important treasure cargo aboard. I've been waiting to see what they find (but Atocha sterncastle is still out there an undiscovered location).
Thats because they are looking in the wrong place. heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading that the sterncastle thing might be a myth. I’m sure many of you know better than me. Any thoughts?
"Experts believe the stern castle, the part of the ship that would have held more gold and, especially, 70 pounds of rare Muso emeralds, is still missing. Muso emeralds from Columbia are considered the world's highest quality gems of this type. These and other valuable items would have been stored in the captain's cabin for safekeeping in the rear part of Atocha. So the search continues."

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats because they are looking in the wrong place. heh
Maybe just not looking enough, investor dives will keep them going for decades. Mel Fisher found the main part of ship after the sterncastle broke off. A wave lifted up the ship then brought it down on a large shallow rock. What we don't know is where it detached. Could have moved across a sand bar separated there. Winds shifted to carry main ship back out to deeper water to sink (55-58 feet deep). Later in the year another hurricane moved the sterncastle 10-12 miles to the northwest. Atocha gold has been recovered that far away.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe just not looking enough, investor dives will keep them going for decades. Mel Fisher found the main part of ship after the sterncastle broke off. A wave lifted up the ship then brought it down on a large shallow rock. What we don't know is where it detached. Could have moved across a sand bar separated there. Winds shifted to carry main ship back out to deeper water to sink (55-58 feet deep). Later in the year another hurricane moved the sterncastle 10-12 miles to the northwest. Atocha gold has been recovered that far away.
Originally when she sank her location was known... they knew exactly where she was due to the fact the mizzen mast protruded from the water with three sailors and two slaves hanging on it.

Then another hurricane came and ***poof*** she was gone.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom contour map is missing from Atocha area on this mapper and once had good depth readings. Seems they still have that, for main Keys. Google Earth you can't see anything and don't know if gps comes out right (mapper uses different gps format).

Attachments

• topo-new_1.jpg
    topo-new_1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think T pin is right see, a shoal below and quicksands then numbers sect 474-478 must be close. Like 1715 beqch you can't get anyone tell you what the real gps coords should be.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Where, oh where are you tonight. Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and I thought I found true love. You met another and poof you was gone..."

So does everybody who recognizes that feel old now?
Gone but dropping her gold along the way.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ghost Galleon In the century following Columbus' dramatic voyage of discovery in 1492, the riches of her New World colonies helped make Spain the most powerful nation in Europe. Taxes on goods shipped from Central and South America by Spanish merchants enabled Spain to defend its Western Hemisphere claims against the English, French, and Dutch, and to extend its empire halfway around the world into the South Pacific.

The Atocha and its sister ship, Santa Margarita, are tragic milestones along this broad commercial highway (called Carrera de Indias by the Spanish) that carried

Which galleon is the ghost?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following account detailing the ill-fated voyage of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha and her sister ship the Santa
Must be the Atocha.

The Ghost Galleon

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom contour map is missing from Atocha area on this mapper and once had good depth readings. Seems they still have that, for main Keys. Google Earth you can't see anything and don't know if gps comes out right (mapper uses different gps format).
Thanks for that picture. That area between Tortugas and Marquesas looks like a ship trap. Should be quite a few old ships around there

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Map from old version mapper looking west or perhaps to the northwest. The 55-58 foot dropoff is straight south of view here. Right side of sect 431 (above 475) is where mapper put public records Atocha gps coords.

Attachments

• topo3-Atocha.jpg
    topo3-Atocha.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread