jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grand Forks herald. (Grand Forks, N.D.), 20 June 1919.

000.jpg
000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg
000fff.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...=&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=13

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I too am finding large articles from around the world, lot of work doing them that way, I will try dragon.

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Amigos

I always find the following comments of reporters amusing. When writing these stories of treasure islands regardless of island or ocean they are in. They always say the treasure island alleged to be source of Robinson Crusoe or treasure island?

For good measure they finger Drake...

Perhaps the story has a closer connect to Sir Thomas Cavendish who sailed in those waters around 1586 in two vessels Desire and Content? Both ships attacked and looted a Manila Galleon Santa Anna. The content disappeared without trace. Perhaps the content was sunk near one of islands off California? Some treasure may of been buried by surviving crew on one of the Catalina islands? Hence stories of treasure passed by generations of natives on the islands?

Mal

Sam Reder

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2021
Anywhere
Detector(s) used
Study, deduction, intuition.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Amigos

I always find the following comments of reporters amusing. When writing these stories of treasure islands regardless of island or ocean they are in. They always say the treasure island alleged to be source of Robinson Crusoe or treasure island?

For good measure they finger Drake...

Perhaps the story has a closer connect to Sir Thomas Cavendish who sailed in those waters around 1586 in two vessels Desire and Content? Both ships attacked and looted a Manila Galleon Santa Anna. The content disappeared without trace. Perhaps the content was sunk near one of islands off California? Some treasure may of been buried by surviving crew on one of the Catalina islands? Hence stories of treasure passed by generations of natives on the islands?

Mal
The story of the disappearance of content proceeds. However much of the treasure was taken by Cavendish.
The legend of buried treasure on an island in the region may have simply served to deceive anyone trying to follow its trail.
The stories say that Cavendish only made one stop before returning to England, which had been on the Isle of St Helena. Theories say that he buried some fabulous treasure stolen from Santa Anna's ship somewhere in order not to have to share everything with the Crown.
In my view, St. Helena is the most likely location for this treasure.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends.. I would never Research "Treasure Island" Or "robinson Crusoe"
both would be Fantasy imo. Closer to "Chester Copperpot' :tongue3: then reality.
however perhaps by ignoring them I could be missing something where the
writer is drawing a comparison to a real treasure.
but I don't like that phrase "Treasure Island"

Sam Reder

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2021
Anywhere
Detector(s) used
Study, deduction, intuition.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends.. I would never Research "Treasure Island" Or "robinson Crusoe"
both would be Fantasy imo. Closer to "Chester Copperpot' :tongue3: then reality.
however perhaps by ignoring them I could be missing something where the
writer is drawing a comparison to a real treasure.
but I don't like that phrase "Treasure Island"
You're right. It is difficult to advance research when the historical bases are mixed with some legends and stories. Lawrence of Arabia experienced something similar in connection with local legends while looking for Iram of the Pillars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread