Trench art ashtray--World War II?

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been slow in this forum. I haven't had any big homeruns lately, but we are still having garage sales/estate sales in my area. I got to the last day of an estate sale on Saturday. Everything had been moved to the garage so there was not much left. I don't know how everyone missed this--maybe because of the dirt and tarnish. I got it for $5.

Can anyone confirm that this is World War II?
The bottom of the shell says:
F.S.C
11 1943
3" MK 7-1
50 CAL
R.T.H.
And an Anchor sign

The bullet opens and is hollow in the bottom--I have seen some with lighters but mine is empty.
The bullet tip says "MK 26-P&A
Also, does anyone know a good way to clean off the verdigris while leaving the dark tarnish intact?

Any info is helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0033_edited-1.JPG
    IMG_0033_edited-1.JPG
    614.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0034_edited-1.JPG
    IMG_0034_edited-1.JPG
    617.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0035_edited-1.JPG
    IMG_0035_edited-1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 82

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been slow in this forum. I haven't had any big homeruns lately, but we are still having garage sales/estate sales in my area. I got to the last day of an estate sale on Saturday. Everything had been moved to the garage so there was not much left. I don't know how everyone missed this--maybe because of the dirt and tarnish. I got it for $5.

Can anyone confirm that this is World War II?
The bottom of the shell says:
F.S.C
11 1943
3" MK 7-1
50 CAL
R.T.H.
And an Anchor sign

The bullet opens and is hollow in the bottom--I have seen some with lighters but mine is empty.
The bullet tip says "MK 26-P&A
Also, does anyone know a good way to clean off the verdigris while leaving the dark tarnish intact?

Any info is helpful.
The base appears to be from a cut off 3 inch 50 naval gun shell.The cartridge looks like a 20mm.Naval terminology indicates the caliber of the bore in inches and the length of the barrel in inches.3 inch 50 would designate a 3 inch bore and a barrel 150 inches long. 5 inch 38 was another common caliber naval gun in WWII. I,d say pretty sure WWII but most likely Navy rather than trench art.The 11-1943 is most likely the manufacturing date and would go toward WWII also.One very similar to yours sold on E-bay for 74.99.Looks like you got a bargain!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The base appears to be from a cut off 3 inch 50 naval gun shell.The cartridge looks like a 20mm.Naval terminology indicates the caliber of the bore in inches and the length of the barrel in inches.3 inch 50 would designate a 3 inch bore and a barrel 150 inches long. 5 inch 38 was another common caliber naval gun in WWII. I,d say pretty sure WWII but most likely Navy rather than trench art.The 11-1943 is most likely the manufacturing date and would go toward WWII also.One very similar to yours sold on E-bay for 74.99.Looks like you got a bargain!
Thanks for the info. This is very helpful. I'll probably be keeping this one and add it to my small but growing WW II collection. 11-1943 makes sense as the manufacturing date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread