Tried out a farm site today in Clarke County, Va. Few flat buttons and a clock key?

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin, his dad and myself went to a farm in Clarke County, Virginia on which my Uncle and grandparents live and my uncle works on this farm. My cousin and I have detected here 2 other times, but only detected the woods and a few other areas. Anyhow, my uncle told us after they cut the fields down that we could get in there before they plant seed for winter. So we give the first field a go and nothin'. Granted these fields are pretty large, but you can only do so much in one day. We venture into another field and I found part of a horse shoe(thought maybe I was onto something, nope!) My cousin did find a WW1/WW2 era style large coat size button next to the road. We then go to another field next to an old log cabin(supposedly old slave quarters) and up on the hill was another large home built I guess in the late 1800's. Right off the bat I found a clad dime(figures) and a zincoln lincoln. :( Then I found a flat button! Now I'm really onto something right? Well I didn't find anything else in it's general area. I zig zagged through the field and toward the middle of the field I found a key, kinda looks like a clock winding key, but not sure. I went on to find 5 more flat buttons.

It was kinda one of those days, ya know? lol Did a lot of walking in some BIG fields and didn't turn up much, but that's just apart of this hobby. You take the good with the bad. We were hoping to dig some Civil War relics because there was supposed to be a battle nearby. Maybe someday we'll get the courage and ask some of the surrounding farm owners if we can detect their property and give that a go. Thanks for looking guys and happy hunting.

Attachments

• Metal Detecting 497.jpg
    Metal Detecting 497.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Metal Detecting 498.jpg
    Metal Detecting 498.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Metal Detecting 499.jpg
    Metal Detecting 499.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Metal Detecting 500.jpg
    Metal Detecting 500.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Metal Detecting 501.jpg
    Metal Detecting 501.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 2
True, but the great majority of the ones that have actuals holes in the head of the key, have two holes, side by side. A few have one or three. There must have been a reason why they went through the trouble of drilling the two holes as opposed to just one that you could simply hang on a nail (and I doubt it was simply for looks).

There are tons of varieties, some have 2 wings, some have 1, some have 2 holes, some have 1, some have hexagon holes etc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back