Congrats to you Coinstriking Michigan, on finding old coins, that is always a great feeling.
just fyi anyone with an interest in the ACE, my experience was that it could reliably differentiate bottlecaps from other items. It's been a while since I sold mine (I got a white's eagle spectrum, very similar to the XLT), but as i recall, when a bottlecap was under the coil, the indicator would bounce around in the coin to screwcap range; it would particularly change reads as you pulled the coil over and away from the spot (which happens with my whites also); if a pulltab or nickel or whatever was under the coil too it would bounce into the low reads as well. If the read stays on quarter or dime as you swing the coil in place, but changes as you move backward and forward, it's still a cap, probably a very rusty one, BUT...there could be a coin in there too, so I dig those. I may not be remembering all this stuff about the ACE exactly right anymore, but I am remembering exactly right that I used the ACE as my first machine, to dig about 50 silver coins in 8 months , and tons of clad, and i rarely ever dug a bottle cap once I figured out what was going on. Also, I'm not the only one to note this ACE behavior online, I've seen it in writing before in forums.
I'd say the ACE is probably one of the best machines for avoiding bottlecaps. imho, of course.