Two Confederate Frame Buckles, buttons, etc.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, these are NOT the expensive kind. That being said, they were found over a few days. That was over three trips to the same place. They were from an Alabama cavalry camp in northern Virginia. I have consulted two folks who really know their stuff, and they both concur they were used by Alabama troops during the CW. Dr. Klein in his book on Confederate General Service and Accoutrement Plates shows some similar/identical to these.

They would be good for someone's belt when bending over on a horse as it would have really hurt if you had the larger plate in place. I also found four of the porcelain buttons, but have lost two (it's me after all), a nice larger flower cast button and flat button with shank. Also pictured is a nice looking pre Civil War flooring nail. Stuff is getting hard to get. I have the other button getting professionally cleaned as its an expensive one. Also part of a spoon handle and washer.

Attachments

• IMG_4086.JPG
    IMG_4086.JPG
    995.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4084.JPG
    IMG_4084.JPG
    876.2 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 12

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your Civil War recoveries and good luck with the button clean

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all four cats being sick, I haven't done squat with the stuff I've had for the last 3 weeks.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are "better" today, they won't recover, but when you get down to it the youngest one is 14 years and 3 months, the oldest just turned 19. We all will get there...unless the Lord comes back first.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are "better" today, they won't recover, but when you get down to it the youngest one is 14 years and 3 months, the oldest just turned 19. We all will get there...unless the Lord comes back first.
Good to see that you still managed to get out for few outings Smokey.

The old cat has popped into the mind a few times over the past week thinking/wondering how the surgery went.
Oh they're getting up there in age, but with the TLC they'll still give a good long purr for some time to come.

Out detecting this past week, and was getting the lowdown on property ownership for another permission.
This orange cat was mousing in the corn for a few minutes, then came running back.
I asked how old, and she said they have had it 19 yrs now, said it just showed up at the barn one day and never left.

Best of luck on the restoration of the button

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn't have the tooth removed. He was in the process of crashing and burning when he was there. I guess he's on antibiotics until he passes away. I tried to renew an old permission yesterday, but they weren't in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions