ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been illegal to film on federal property for commercial purposes without a permit since at least 1976 and probably long before. Any commercial use of federal lands or facilities requires a permit and usually a bond as well. Nothing illegal or unconstitutional about it. The Constitution doesn't protect commercial activity.

Your selfies or home movies are not commercial photography. Look and film all you want as long as it's for personal use.
Hmmm

Wonder if Ansell Adams had a permit ? ? ?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmmm

Wonder if Ansell Adams had a permit ? ? ?
Actually he not only had a permit (I've seen it) he maintained a working studio, darkroom and gallery within Yosemite National Park in his later years. I think the gallery is still there today, and has a permit.

Ansell didn't make his money photographing nature. He was a commercial/industrial photographer by trade and a very good one. I've owned several of his large format industrial equipment and building photos. His nature photography was most often part of his Group f/64 photography experiments - a casual non commercial group of seven or so (now famous) photographers who were the vanguard of a photography movement to make photographic art that took advantage of the sharp lenses and greater depth of field available.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
We the people did indeed buy every National Park with our gold and our blood.

(See NW Ordinance, Louisiana purchase, Gadsden purchase, Alaska purchase, Florida Purchase, Mexican American war, Spanish-American war, etc. etc. etc.)
Much of the land was stolen from the Native Americans, too! They are the ones who ultimately paid for some of the land.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Many of the "Public Lands" already charge a fee. I think

Last edited by a moderator:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's all about alternative revenue streams. Remember when you could go to a hospital and park for free? Or a trail head for that matter? Some clown is always looking for a new way to make free stuff provide funding for something we don't need and never agreed to. I wish my taxes could be dedicated to specific things.... X amount goes to defense, X goes to national forests/parks, X goes to feed/house the homeless. Zero goes to fund the study on why doughnuts cause obesity...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread