What's new

Uncle Sam Play Money Nickel

Carolina Relic Hunter

Full Member
Joined
May 30, 2021
Messages
231
Reaction score
1,813
Golden Thread
1
Location
Rock Hill, SC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & 900, Nokta Pulsedive, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why these have eluded me so long, but finally found one this yesterday. It’s a nickel but the size of a dime so It’s a half dime in my book. 😂😂
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5145.webp
    IMG_5145.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5146.webp
    IMG_5146.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
Upvote 13
Cool find - congrats !

I've found a few of them - seems like most of the Play Coins have dates on them.
I remember having a Toy Cash Register that came with the Coins like this one when I was a kid.
 

Attachments

  • Tom Thumb Kids Cash Register - 1950s Era .webp
    Tom Thumb Kids Cash Register - 1950s Era .webp
    101.5 KB · Views: 31
Cool find - congrats !

I've found a few of them - seems like most of the Play Coins have dates on them.
I remember having a Toy Cash Register that came with the Coins like this one when I was a kid.
Very cool, That cash register would make a great display for these.
 
Love these pieces of social history. Note that there’s a small ‘W’ above the digit ‘5’, which is for the Waco, Texas company Grove-Tex Industries. As it says on the packaging, these were used in schools to teach children about the use of money and its denominations.

Waco1.webp

Waco2.webp
 
Love these pieces of social history. Note that there’s a small ‘W’ above the digit ‘5’, which is for the Waco, Texas company Grove-Tex Industries. As it says on the packaging, these were used in schools to teach children about the use of money and its denominations.

View attachment 2239506
View attachment 2239507
That's very cool. Thanks for the history...
 
Not sure why these have eluded me so long, but finally found one this yesterday. It’s a nickel but the size of a dime so It’s a half dime in my book. 😂😂
Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom