What's new

Unearthed a Gargoyle from the Deep Dark Depths Today

JimInPhilly

Full Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
138
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro and Sovereign Elite
Had a few hours to spare , so hit the fields. Braved the snow and slush , glad I did.
Found a pretty neat drawer pull ( I think ), Its in the shape of a gargoyles face.
Pulled out a button, it has the seal of Philadelphia on it. Its in pretty good shape for a dug button. You can
see the letters on the scroll at the bottom , it says PHILADELPHIA and MANETO. On the back reads THEO. H. DOAN & CO.-PHILA.-
Also found an 1886 Seated Liberty dime, its in bad shape, I at first thought it was a scorched Indian Head penny and was going to
toss it in the junk pile, but a little baking soda and water took the crud right off.
Had a bad case of cabin fever but now feel better! ;)

Jim
 

Attachments

  • snowhunt II003.webp
    snowhunt II003.webp
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,365
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    33 KB · Views: 958
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 998
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 999
  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,013
  • a.webp
    a.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 972
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.. A little search of the words PHILADELPHIA MONETO ,in Latin translates to , Let Brotherly Love Continue.
Heres the back of the drawer pull, theres no marks on it, but I really wonder what time frame it came from.
 

Attachments

  • snowhunt reverse001.webp
    snowhunt reverse001.webp
    100.4 KB · Views: 634
Neat finds, Jim! I believe that the gargoyle drawer pull is from a late 1800's cash register. (See photos below.) Last November one of these pulls (non-dug) from an NCR cash register sold for $111 on eBay.

NCRG-1.webp
NCRG-2.webp​
 
Very cool Drawer Pull,, I like it...
Although, if I had found that thing while hunting by myself, it would have creap'ed me out... ;D
PBK, You the man...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Ooop's, almost forgot,,,
No offence, but that poor old dime has got to be one of the worst I think I ever seen... ;D
 
Awww poor little dime, seen it better days for sure. But its silver none the less. Now that Gargoyle is a neat find too. Clean him up and put him on your tool chest.
 
Thanks for the info PBK , thats amazing ,I really didnt think I had a shot at getting any kind of ID . You made my day!
The dime is in poor shape, it must have been exposed to a fire, its as thin as a razor blade too. ::)

HH ;)
jim
 
Hey Jim,

I may be wrong, but that button looks like a state seal button. Some get pretty good $$$. As for the cash drawer pull, great find, but maybe there is more to that cash drawer! You never know. Think I might start gridding off that area where you found that and detect very slow. You might just find a cache! Good job!

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan
 
Thanks Steve,I didnt think about looking for the register too, good idea ;)

The button is the seal of Philadelphia. The pa. seal is in the pic.


JIM
 

Attachments

  • paseal.webp
    paseal.webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 278
Hi Jim,
Very nice finds!! Was the dime dug in the proximity of any duck or goose droppings? Years ago, they drained
the City Park, in Denver. I found several merc dimes that after the electrolysis, you had to handle them carefully
as they were so thin they could cut you. The acids in the duck and goose droppings hastened the silver oxidation.
Most of the coin was the black crust that came off of them. Once again, nice find on the drawer pull.
HH Slab
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom