Unfilled holes in Savannah...

Oct 3, 2020
South GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro w Nel Tornado
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_20201005_124741384_HDR.jpg

Is it difficult to take 4 seconds and kick the dirt back into the hole and step on it. Do people leave holes like this at permissions? I understand it's out in the woods but I feel it's a simple etiquette thing. There are some opened holes with the can still in it. I personally fill all holes as best I can for 2 reasons. 1. I made the hole. 2. I don't want to draw attention to the fact someone was metal detecting and risk the spot draw in all the others.
Just my thoughts. I filled in a bunch of fresh holes at spot yesterday.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a similar story that's relevant...I hunt a local public area that has a significant historical story to it. It's public but has been abandoned for decades and now is just used as a big equipment parking lot for the borough I'm in. It's sunken down off of the main road and next to invisible unless you know it's there. I was hunting on an embankment and above me a few guys were walking along the road. They looked down and noticed me and asked why I was there and what I was doing. I told them and they moved on. An hour later they pulled into the lane of this area and got out with shovels, picks, etc but no metal detecting equipment. They started making a racket and just digging holes, I guess hoping to just find old stuff blindly. I got annoyed and left.

The next time I went there, they dug easily 20 huge holes and left them as they were. Big ugly holes left unfilled along this ridge. A few trips back there later a local policewoman noticed me pulling into this lane and followed me down. After the typical questions about why I was there etc she pointed out the new holes and mentioned that a borough employee brought them to the attention of the police department. After diverting her attention with pics on my phone of cool stuff I found there she believed me that these holes weren't left unfilled by me. This could have easily gone either way and I could lost an awesome spot that just keeps on giving. FILL YOUR DAMN HOLES LMAO!!!!!

OP
OP
V
Oct 3, 2020
South GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro w Nel Tornado
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes sir! This hobby sure can be a pain between folks who simply don't know or they only see dollar signs. I took a guy new to detecting to a great spot a group of us got on. Tried to get him on a couple little buttons since he was new to it. 3 days later he sends his friend out there and my buddy runs into him. Introduced himself, so and so's friend that your friend knows. At least he filled his holes though. I told the guy what I thought and he didn't like it. A learning lesson for me too. It's like a good fishing spot. Protect it, keep it clean, and don't send your friend to your friend's place. Since then I'm tighter lipped and less friendly to new comers. That guy was always concerned with the price tag and not the history.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because I'm so into this hobby, I often pull out my phone to show people pics of cool finds. Usually the first thing they ask is "Where'd you find THAT?!?!", quickly followed by my question "Do you metal detect?!?!" LOL. I tend to be very protective of my hunting grounds too!!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a permission once on a church camp from the early 1900s and was pulling out silver dollars and halves left and right. Local jerkimer found out and trashed the place with holes and the church custodians decided... no more detecting!!!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some unscrupulous people do it to leave their calling card, so to speak. They may think that if other detectorists visit the property they will not bother or give up quickly. That or they are just lazy and inconsiderate......

OP
OP
V
Oct 3, 2020
South GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro w Nel Tornado
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a shame because it makes all of us look bad. Farm fields, construction sites, woods, yards, ..I fill them all. I don't know if someone guys just leave it as a sign saying...it's hunted and stuff was found before you got here. Or maybe saying stuff is here, check it out. I don't want anyone knowing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread