Unidentified Small Copper - any idea what this may have been?

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This coin was found in a area with early 1800's Large Coppers. it had same level of patina coating on it as the LC's. However, it is about the size of a dime (16mm). Anyone know what coin this may have been? All markings are gone. Thanks!
B6449.jpg

Can you please post a pic of the reverse side?
Don...

ok had to use flash since it's night now but here it is. Can't see much. Thanks for looking Don.
B6451.jpg

Two candidates (since I can't make out any image or letters on either side): Fernando VI (1746-1759) and Carlos III (1759-1788). Both kings issued Mexican 1/2Rs measuring 16mm in diameter. You might check the weight. The coins referenced above each weighed 1.69 grams.
Thanks for the second pic.
Don.......

A light rub with some olive oil might bring out some features.

Two candidates (since I can't make out any image or letters on either side): Fernando VI (1746-1759) and Carlos III (1759-1788). Both kings issued Mexican 1/2Rs measuring 16mm in diameter. You might check the weight. The coins referenced above each weighed 1.69 grams.
Thanks for the second pic.
Don.......

cool that's what I was looking for a ballpark on who even had copper coins that small going back that far! Great thanks very much - appreciate it! :)
If you meant reales, no this cannot be a reale because it is copper. Is that what you mean? Thanks.

Last edited:
A light rub with some olive oil might bring out some features.

hi, I just took coin from olive oil soak that's been going on for about 8 years now. This had a thick green patina when I started just like most of my LC's from 1700's and 1800's. Sadly I can see nothing that I can make out but I wanted to know who even had a copper that small going back into 1800's. Mackaydon found me two possibilities. Thanks for your suggestion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back