Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUOTE: Union Landing Siding (Lawrence County, Ohio): Community Profile

Although we found mention of Union Landing Siding during our research, we have little information about it. Given the context of how Union Landing Siding was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it's a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists.
While we are confident that Union Landing Siding was located in Lawrence County,we don't know its actual location within the county.

Pittsburg dispatch.
(Pittsburg [Pa.]), 19 March 1892.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Pittsburg dispatch. (Pittsburg [Pa.]) 1880-1923, March 19, 1892, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I. R. Jan. 11, 1872 - DEATHS - KELLY - At Union Landing, Ohio, December, 27, 1871. Joshua Kelly, father of Rev. J. M. Kelly, in the 82nd year of his age. The deceased was one of the pioneers of this county, coming here about 1796, while the indians occupied all this region. All his companions have long since died. For fifty years he has been a member of the Baptist Church. He was an industrious, upright and useful citizen. For a long time his health has been very poor.
Source:
http://lawrencecountyohio.com/families/k_p/kelly.htm

Also:
Luke Kelly was Joshua's dad.A note regarding Luke Kelly reads:
About 1796-1798 Luke Kelly came to Lawrence County, Ohio from Virginia and settled on a lower point of a run known as Kelly's Run. Mr. Kelly settled all his sons in tracts of 100 acres on his land along the Ohio river, on the upper part of Kelly's Run. On this ground, Luke Kelly established the first cemetery ever used by the white man in these parts. Also known as "Kelly's Cemetery." Now known as Union Landing name changing during the Civil War.
This might be the obvious clue as to the skeletons found in a later period.
Source:
http://www.miles-shute-kouns-families.com/getperson.php?personID=I1666&tree=Kouns_06
Don.......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Adding........
Letter From a Citizen of Early Days
Ironton Register, Thursday, April 14, 1892

The following letter will call up many memories of the past, especially among the pioneers of this immediate region. Though the writer aims to give some information about the exhumed skeletons, his theories are not correct. The graves are those of the Mound builders and not of the Indians. This region was never thickly populated by Indians. They did come here, and frequent Hanging Rock and Ferguson's bar to entrap flatboatmen bound down the river, but they did not congregate here in great numbers, such as the mounds around suggest.
Here's the (fascinating, to me) letter:

http://lawrencecountyohio.com/nativeam/stories/anoldtimer.htm

Don.....

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool "LONG" Letter Don ! Nice Find :thumbsup:

I fixed a Hot link to your Post

Itownguy

Jul 14, 2008
This is a old post but I just came across it. I live in Ironton which is a 10 minute drive from Union Landing. A lot of Indian artifact collections have came from that area over many years. Years ago me and my brothers went to the Luke Kelly family cemetery that was mentioned above to clear it out. You can see from the pics how it was covered up with weeds and brush. Luke Kelly is said to have been of the earliest settlers to come here to Lawrence County. Anyway just sending some pics of the cemetery which includes his tombstone. The area is mostly farm land. The first pic with my brother looking towards the camera. The cemetery is located in those trees across the field behind him in that area on the right. Joe Miller. View attachment 1906563 View attachment 1906564 View attachment 1906565 View attachment 1906566

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread