What's new

Unknown Revolutionary War Battlefield Find

pjroo33

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
631
Reaction score
90
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searched the site of a large Revolutionary War battle and came upon this. I have no idea what it is. It just doesn't look like any farm equipment that I've seen. Found some small musket balls in the same vicinity. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • battlefield find 1.webp
    battlefield find 1.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 891
  • battlefield find 2.webp
    battlefield find 2.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 892
Looks a little like the post medieval pike ends. But I'm not sure they used them in the US??

I also thought it looked a little like a boating hook??

WAGs
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Looks a little like the post medieval pike ends. But I'm not sure they used them in the US??

I also thought it looked a little like a boating hook??

WAGs

I thought boat hook possibly. Were pike ends used during the Revolutionary War? It definitely looks as though it would have been driven into some type of wood by the way it is notched out on the long end.
 
Upvote 0
Or maybe it's an Ice Harvesting tool .
 
Upvote 0
Its a fire poker. You know your tools next to your fireplace? Its used for moving logs and coals around. The handle is missing.
 
Upvote 0
pike head ...early 1798
I think the Swiss used these the most
 

Attachments

  • 1798 Wexford Battle of irish.webp
    1798 Wexford Battle of irish.webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 858
Upvote 0
dex378 said:
Its a fire poker. You know your tools next to your fireplace? Its used for moving logs and coals around. The handle is missing.

I think your right
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
dex378 said:
Its a fire poker. You know your tools next to your fireplace? Its used for moving logs and coals around. The handle is missing.

I think your right

I wouldn't think a fire poker would have a wooden handle? Do you think the handle was also iron? It seems like a fire poker would be one long piece of iron rather than a seperate head?
 
Upvote 0
I dont think its a poker....the handle would have been iron also and much longer....they werent made of wood then, som e had brass handles but this looks hand forged and too early
 

Attachments

  • poker.webp
    poker.webp
    1,022 bytes · Views: 807
Upvote 0
pjroo33 said:
CRUSADER said:
dex378 said:
Its a fire poker. You know your tools next to your fireplace? Its used for moving logs and coals around. The handle is missing.

I think your right

I wouldn't think a fire poker would have a wooden handle? Do you think the handle was also iron? It seems like a fire poker would be one long piece of iron rather than a seperate head?

this one is sending me in a spin. good point, well made :-\
 
Upvote 0
Here are a couple items found within 20 or 30 yards of the first "whats it"
 

Attachments

  • battlefield find 3.webp
    battlefield find 3.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 830
Upvote 0
If it were a weapon of some type, I would expect the metal to be more steel like. Because yours looks mostly iron I think that its probably civilian related. Maybe farm yard related??
 
Upvote 0
was there ever logging in the area? it kinda looks like a logging tool to me.
 
Upvote 0
hollowpointred said:
was there ever logging in the area? it kinda looks like a logging tool to me.

I see no record of the area being anything other than farmland as far back as the 1870's. Before that, I don't know. A large concentration of fighting took place here during the Revolution. That I know for sure.
 
Upvote 0
Heck ..If I had been fighting in the 1812 war...I would have used anything I could as a weapon...fire poker,log tool,pike, rock....LOL
 
Upvote 0
Aaron did you find that the other day? The musket balls as well?

Brian
 
Upvote 0
baspinall said:
Aaron did you find that the other day? The musket balls as well?

Brian

No... Got them Sunday morning down this way.
 
Upvote 0
Sure is an interesting piece. Most similar looking thing I can think of is a pike pole, for logging or fire fighting.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom