What's new

Unkown Eagle backmark button

FortBedfordbob

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
862
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Hello all, My Son-in-law found this button yesterday at an old homestead. It has a plain front and is 18.5 mm in diameter. The back has an Eagle the words " NE PLUS ULTRA " and the initials S. & C. I have checked Albert's Button Book and can't find it, maybe I missed it. We do most of our posting over on Treasurenets White's forum. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks much, Bedfordbob
 

Attachments

  • 11-15-08 John\'s Eagle.webp
    11-15-08 John\'s Eagle.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 347
  • 1790\'s House, Sweet 2 001.webp
    1790\'s House, Sweet 2 001.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 974
It appears to be an early 19th century civilian plain-face gilt dress button. Ne Plus Ultra is a quality backmark— a Latin phrase meaning something like "the very highest or finest."

S & C brings to mind Scovills & Company (c. 1840-50), although the button looks a bit earlier, and I don't recall seeing this mark reliably attributed to them.
 
Upvote 0
Thank yoou PBK, my first thought was Scovills but couldn't find that mark in the Book. BB
 
Upvote 0
I saw some old Naval buttons that were reversed but I thought that they were mistakes. Looks like there might be something under the eyelet. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Here is a pic of one that I found a couple of months ago.
I like the way that yours is designed also.
Congrats on your find

fortbball9
 

Attachments

  • Picture 578.webp
    Picture 578.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Picture 578.webp
    Picture 578.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom