What's new

Unusual Bronze Wax Seal - How old?

Jaichim24

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2010
Messages
317
Reaction score
603
Golden Thread
0
Location
CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These pictures are of a bronze Chinese Foo Dog wax seal I found yesterday. It seems to be pretty intricately made, with even the mouth being "carved" out. I can google around and find plenty of examples of bronze pieces, however none of them have the English characters/letters this one has. It seems pretty unusual. Can anyone provide a date or date range for this? I know the Chinese still utilize these today in the form of ink stamps. The cool thing is it still had red wax embedded in the stamp part.

I found this on a property that was built in the 1850's time, and is still being lived in. I've found colonial buckles on this site and plenty of 1800's stuff. Also some victorian item's. (and of course modern 1900's items)

Let me know if you need any additional information. I'm including the group shots for size reference.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jai
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8132.webp
    IMG_8132.webp
    72.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_8137.webp
    IMG_8137.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_8149.webp
    IMG_8149.webp
    61 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_8151.webp
    IMG_8151.webp
    49.4 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_8165.webp
    IMG_8165.webp
    117.9 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_8168.webp
    IMG_8168.webp
    109.2 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_8169.webp
    IMG_8169.webp
    114.8 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_8171.webp
    IMG_8171.webp
    116.4 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_8132.webp
    IMG_8132.webp
    72.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_8137.webp
    IMG_8137.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_8149.webp
    IMG_8149.webp
    61 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_8151.webp
    IMG_8151.webp
    49.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_8165.webp
    IMG_8165.webp
    117.9 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_8168.webp
    IMG_8168.webp
    109.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_8169.webp
    IMG_8169.webp
    114.8 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_8171.webp
    IMG_8171.webp
    116.4 KB · Views: 293
Re: Bronze Chinese Foo Dog Wax Seal - Date request

looks pretty modern at least 19th century still a nice find tho :)
 
Upvote 0
Re: Bronze Chinese Foo Dog Wax Seal - Date request

I'm no expert at all, but for me, I think it'd be hard to tell with all of the "antique" products being made in China right now. eBay is full of fakes mixed in with the real antiques. A few years ago I bought a small "antique silver" foo dog on there. Although I'm not sure of its age, it did end up being silver which was a surprise.

Sorry I wasn't more help, nice find though!
 
Upvote 0
No takers yet? I am still not having any luck even finding an example of a chinese stamp with english characters. Does anyone have any weblinks for resources on wax seal history?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom