Update on my gold ring find

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, AT PRO, XP DEUS,CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got two updates on the ring today from the experts at antiques roadshow. The first expert says.... He has no clue so he resubmitted the ring for other experts. The second expert sent me this.. Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to try to assist you. I have seen a pattern similar to that before, as the oval and rays represent the sun--the one I recall most was Masonic, and there was a tiny ruby instead of the raised gold "dot" in yours. The style is very much like examples manufactured in the late 19th and early 20th century in both Europe and the United States and I don't think they are maker markings on the inside, but rather the indentations from the raised casting on the other side. Many of these were made in both 18k and 22k gold, but you would need to have it tested by a jeweler (or buy an inexpensive kit yourself from a site such as eBay.com) to confirm the karat grade.

It is likely from the Art Noveau era (1890-1910) based on the way the designs are represented. Unfortunately, there isn't an incredible market for the style at present so the bulk of the actual value will be based on the gold content. There will be an additional premium of approximately 25% above that value because it is an attractive ring. Gold at present is about $30-31 per gram for 18k and $38-39 per gram for 22k. To calculate the value, once you have determined the actual purity, simply multiply the gram weight times the dollar amount stated above then add 25% for the form of the ring. That will put you pretty close to real world market in most all situations.

Upvote 10
OP
OP
P

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478215797.080811.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478215815.049974.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478215841.620348.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478215856.922862.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is deffinately a unique ring. Keep looking for info on it!
Don't quit till you have answers.

OP
OP
P

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gonna keep researching it but he is the expert, he knows way more than me. Lol. Regardless, I'm very happy with that find, you don't find to many of those. I'm going to have it tested also.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
P

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I've never sold anything I've found, I can't part with this stuff. Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I don't think they are maker markings on the inside, but rather the indentations from the raised casting on the other side."

Really? I'm trying to understand this statement, does he mean those indentations are what's pushing out the design on the outside of the ring? Come on, really? Someone please explain this to me, because I'm really not getting this? Or does he mean it was where something hooked on to cast the designs on the other side. I need a drawing or something, I don't get it?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
"I don't think they are maker markings on the inside, but rather the indentations from the raised casting on the other side."

Really? I'm trying to understand this statement, does he mean those indentations are what's pushing out the design on the outside of the ring? Come on, really? Someone please explain this to me, because I'm really not getting this? Or does he mean it was where something hooked on to cast the designs on the other side. I need a drawing or something, I don't get it?

I think he is saying the ring was cast and the form had some imperfections?

OP
OP
P

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't really understand the explanation either. I'm still researching as much as I can. The markings still look like gold markings to me, possibly Asian.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread